• Commercial/Vendors welcome

My 40' Tiffin Phaeton QTH

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Except for a couple of fuses, I think I have all the parts to begin my solar project.

So today I got started by installing the EPEVER Tracer 8420AN 80 amp MPPT charge controller in the basement compartment, about 2' from my battery bank. Then I connected the controller to the battery bank with a pair of 4 gauge wires.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I hope to run more 4 gauge wire from the controller up to the roof and get ready for the 6-245 watt, 24 volt panels that I plan to install.

Attachments

• DSC02796.JPG
    DSC02796.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 30
  • DSC02801.JPG
    DSC02801.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 31
  • DSC02807.JPG
    DSC02807.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Love your booth redo!

Your reworking is what’s inspiring about owning a rig more than 5 years-keep it and update! Especially if you’re FT!

About 2:30 this afternoon, the wind and rain finally subsided and the sun came out enough to get a little work done.

I pulled off the cover that conceals the water holding tank and drilled a hole in the 2" vent tube that goes up to the roof. (For the record, this vent tube doesn't go to the fresh water, it goes into a black tank and I'm not sure what's in it. But it's not the black water tank, that I know!) Then I fished a pair of 4 gauge wires up through the vent tube and up onto the roof where I zip-tied them to the antenna until I'm ready to connect them to the distribution block. When I'm sure I have the wire length correct, I'll use some silicone on the hole in the vent tube. Tomorrow I hope to run the other end of the wires under the coach and over to the solar controller.

My distribution blocks also arrived and I made a trip to Lowe's to pick up some other goodies, including a waterproof box for the distribution blocks to reside in.

Attachments

• DSC02855.JPG
    DSC02855.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 38
  • DSC02858.JPG
    DSC02858.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 37
  • DSC02863.JPG
    DSC02863.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 41
  • DSC02865.JPG
    DSC02865.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 38
  • DSC02870.JPG
    DSC02870.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I got the wires from the vent tube routed through several basement storage areas, across the coach and over to the inverter. Got lucky and hitched a ride through some factory cutouts, so it was a piece of cake. I'm going to hold off on installing any panels just yet as I've decided to paint the roof first. And with the weather being so bad, I'm not sure when that will be.

But I like to do something every day, or at least ever couple of day, even if it's just a small thing. The other day it was a small dehumidifier which I put on the sink until it proves itself to be beneficial. But so far so good! Once I'm happy with it, I'll mount it somewhere with a drain tube so I don't have to empty the catch tray so much.

Like most coaches, we have a sleep number mattress, which I'm an not really a fan of. So yesterday I replaced it with a house style king size mattress. It fit nicely and I feel it will suit us better. It was a real chore to get it in the coach and around the captains chairs. And it was especially difficult in the bedroom as there is a ceiling fan hanging down and the mattress and the fan got into a scrap. But at the end of the day, they reconciled and the mattress has now found a new forever home.

Sorry, no pictures. But I believe everyone has seen a mattress before, right? ;)

Attachments

• Dehumidifier.jpg
    Dehumidifier.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I'm fairly new to RVing and this is my first DP.

I'd love to have a brand-new coach, but my policy is to pay cash for everything, and a trip to the money tree indicated there weren't enough branches to carry the load. ;) But with a little pruning I found I could afford a 2009, 40' Phaeton QTH. It's a nice coach, pretty well taken care of, and only 18K on the clock. But still, it's 10 years old and will benefit from some upgrades.

So I'm going to create and maintain this thread to track the coaches condition as it evolves with time. There will probably be more "minor" changes than major, but I'm hoping the combined effect of numerous details will produce a product that will make me proud as I visit future destinations and chat with the friends we make along the way.

I take constructive criticism well and encouragement even better, so don't hesitate to toss your .02 in along the way.

Great job on your dinette!! definitely looking forward to seeing what else you do to your coach!

Another lousy day, weather wise anyway. Pulled out and replaced the old faucets with some that Trish (My Wife) couldn't live without. I rate plumbing right up there with smashing my fingers, but this went smoothly enough. Well, as good as can be expected when you try to put a 6'1", 235lb man inside a tiny little cabinet. :(

So yeah, I see the pictures didn't turn out with a darn. That's because the pictures are of a plumbing project, and because I suck at plumbing projects, I should have realized the pictures would suck too. ;)

Attachments

• DSC02945.JPG
    DSC02945.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC02943.JPG
    DSC02943.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC02946.JPG
    DSC02946.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 35
Nicely done?

Trish was watching "Christine on the Coast" and I hear her holler at me to come see something. I expected to come in and see a GSD or something. "Look at the TV" she says. "See anything you recognize?" Looked at the TV and lol, there were the faucets we installed yesterday. Different finish, but otherwise the same.

Apparently, Christine has good taste in faucets... :)

Attachments

• DSC02954.JPG
    DSC02954.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 25
We use a larger dehumidifier when we are not using the RV. We place it in the shower and let it drain into the gray water tank.

Jim,
I kind of doing the same thing. I bought a fixer upper for a lower price. I redid ours to fit our needs. We got rid of the booth type seats and table and added more seating. We use a folding table and chairs if we want instead. Then we got a reclining sofa with the center folds down for cup holders and power.

Just giving you ideas. Nice thing is you get to build it to fit your needs.

1B2029DF-BEDC-44AC-AC9A-4E5C1E3A5517.jpeg52A395B4-8316-44FA-B5BC-E2B8186C8ECA.jpeg

Latest resources

Back