Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Yukon Denali
Fulltimer
Yes
So now that I've buried my viair and moved on to the doubler, I bought an air hose yesterday. I still need to get a tire inflator with a digital gauge. Can anyone recommend a good one? I've looked at the following.

Spartan sells the Astro 3018 (cheaper at Amazon), but when I watched someone using it and it appears that you cannot see the psi as you are inflating.

Then I saw this one:

Milton S-576D Pro Digital Tire Inflator with Pressure Gauge, 15" Hose Classic Dual Head Chuck, Easy to Read 0.1 Display, Made In USA 255 PSI Amazon.com

Or maybe there is another one I need to consider? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks, as always.

Renee

All inflator I have used don't give a number while inflating. My guess would be because the pressure going in is higher than the tire pressure or it wouldn't inflate. You have to stop inflating for a second to get a static reading, then keep going until you hit the number you want. Even automatic inflators I've seen where you set a value and walk away stop every so often to check the value and resume.

On the Milton one you shared the amazon link for I'd assume you'd have to release the handle to get a live value.

The Milton stuff is apparently USA made hence the price difference and hopefully quality difference. Reading the descriptions it sounds like they are well made products. I gave up trying to get all my tires at the exact same pressure and manage to get within 2 psi (according to the TPMS) with a manual gauge, but I can see how this would allow fine tuning of tire pressure. You could also compare results with the TPMS.

Last edited:
I used a similar gauge when I made up my hose kit. Since I am airing 6 tires at the same time to achieve perfect air balance between the 6 tires, I chose to use a ball valve vs a handle to squeeze.

The pressure gauge while inflating 6 tires will show about 5 psi difference between the actual tire, with the gauge showing more pressure than the tires have.

Didn't the VIAIR come with a guage and a long chuck that you could use? Yes, you have to release the handle to get a read, but it's pretty good.

Edit: If @Neal hasn't dug up the remains of the dead VIAIR.

shovel digging GIF by Hunter Gatherer

Edit 2: A Prevost owner recommended this one.

I purchased this one recently.

AstroAI Digital Tire Inflator... Amazon.com

Had this one for a year. Astro Pneumatic Tool 3018 3.5" Digital Tire Inflator with Hose Amazon.com You squeeze to add air, let go then read display. Squeeze a little to bleed off air if you went over your target psi. All while leaving the chuck attached.

Removed the small chuck from the braided hose then I added a swivel extension for those odd angled stems and it has a self-locking chuck. JACO Lightning T-Series Tire Air Chuck - 1/4" F-NPT (Open Flow) Amazon.com

Checked with TPMS and good manual gauge and is close to same psi across all.

Didn't the VIAIR come with a guage and a long chuck that you could use? Yes, you have to release the handle to get a read, but it's pretty good.
5 years later and I'm learning you have to release the handle to get a read. 😂 I just thought it (the viair gauge/inflator) didn't really work well so I would take it off and use another gauge. I would prefer to get a digital one - easier to see since I'm always losing my glasses.

Thanks for sharing the recommendation you received. I'll take a look! 😊

Latest resources

Back