• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Need suggestions/advice on some new 50 amp wiring in the coach

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
It can be done....but the reel has to be moved. I measured the space and it will not fit to the left of the reel as it sits today. I looked behind the wall of that cabinet and there is plenty of space for the Autoformer...I would just have to drill two holes through for the lines going to and from the autoformer. The only disadvantage is that would have to go to the other side of the RV to see the indicator lights on it. But it may be easier than moving the reel.

I did something similar. From shore to a female 50amp plug. Hughes autoformer connects to this plug and sits on opposite wall. The other end of the HAF connects to the male 50 amp plug hard wired to my progressive ems sitting behind shore cord reel, and the transfer switch is hardwired to the progressive.

You want 3x6, 1x8 wire to match what Newmar uses. I bought a 6ft cord that had both ends and cut it. Makes for a solid connection and easy to bypass a failed reel or HAF.

Attachments

• 20220421_195348.jpg
    20220421_195348.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 20220421_195357.jpg
    20220421_195357.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • 20220421_195352.jpg
    20220421_195352.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 20220421_200146.jpg
    20220421_200146.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20220421_195831.jpg
    20220421_195831.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
It can be done....but the reel has to be moved. I measured the space and it will not fit to the left of the reel as it sits today. I looked behind the wall of that cabinet and there is plenty of space for the Autoformer...I would just have to drill two holes through for the lines going to and from the autoformer. The only disadvantage is that would have to go to the other side of the RV to see the indicator lights on it. But it may be easier than moving the reel.
Is this yours?

106f2721-5f41-4124-99a7-2aacb6d86294-jpeg.2726

If I moved my reel over, it would be this snug... I have not yet put the AF in place yet. But I have the kit and will be putting it in this week or next (at least I plan to). But I am beginning to think I will put it on the other side of the back wall like RedBaron did.

I did something similar. From shore to a female 50amp plug. Hughes autoformer connects to this plug and sits on opposite wall. The other end of the HAF connects to the male 50 amp plug hard wired to my progressive ems sitting behind shore cord reel, and the transfer switch is hardwired to the progressive.

You want 3x6, 1x8 wire to match what Newmar uses. I bought a 6ft cord that had both ends and cut it. Makes for a solid connection and easy to bypass a failed reel or HAF.
My first thought was to do what yours looks like, which is behind the electric bay, where the half bath is, to wire it there. My thinking was it's too far too hard to reach, if I wanted to bypass it, but is yours setup where you can bypass it without reach the autoformer?

My first thought was to do what yours looks like, which is behind the electric bay, where the half bath is, to wire it there. My thinking was it's too far too hard to reach, if I wanted to bypass it, but is yours setup where you can bypass it without reach the autoformer?
To bypass the AF I unplug upper right, then take the plug out of the front of the AF and plug that into upper right.

To bypass the AF I unplug upper right, then take the plug out of the front of the AF and plug that into upper right.
Yea, understood. That post was for Redbarron's setup, where his Autoformer is behind the half bay tray.

Mine is very simple to bypass, as all the connections are on the spool side. I would disconnect the HAF input shown to the side of spool, and connect to the ems behind spool not visible in picture.

Same with easy swap out of spool if it fails.

Mine is very simple to bypass, as all the connections are on the spool side. I would disconnect the HAF input shown to the side of spool, and connect to the ems behind spool not visible in picture.

Same with easy swap out of spool if it fails.
Gotcha. I guess using one extra short "extension" cord when HAF in use vs. if it was in the bay, but much less cramped. I need to look behind my half tray and see if I have as much room as you. I didn't think I did, but considering how shallow the electrical bay is, I probably do and never noticed.

Definitely avoids having the electrical bay over crowded.

Between your pics and Neil's, I don't think I will do what I was originally thinking, which was to put the outlet/HAF in the full pass through, two bays to the left. I'll go the route one of you did.

Latest resources

Back