Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newmar All Star - Mid Engine - Any Thoughts / Recommendations?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
It's true about storage.. I don't think any of the floorplans had "pass-thru" storage like a DP..but I have the 4257 with a huge Garage..so I can load tons of things in there and don't miss under-cab storage at all..but I suppose owners with the other floor plans may feel it lacking. Still - I can't get over how cool it is to have such a good Cummins engine, amazing Allison transmission and incredible Spartan chassis...with such a cool, unique floorplan like this. IMHO - I don't car what they do with the 2021 Canyon Star...it can't hold a candle to these All Stars!
Agree! We have the 3950 (bunks above and master below) and while there really is only one big basement storage and one small, there’s an insane amount of large cabinet space, room under the bed, room under the banquet, etc. For a family of 4 + 2 dogs I’ve not had a storage problem. If I ever do, my backup plan is a hitch mount rack w/ bins.

Hey @Alex444 So it's been about a year and change in. You should be coming to the end of your second season. How's the 3950 life. After spending countless hours looking at floorplans this one is looking to the a great layout for my family (3 soon to be 4). Have you found more issues? I've been spending more and more time reading about them and it's at the point where I think I'm just itching to get one. BTW did you do an inspection pre purchase and how did you find someone to do it?

Hey Marc!

Well, our 2020 took a bit of a different turn as well and we ended up pregnant with our third child delivering in April of this year! So, while we did use the motorhome a few times this season, it wasn’t as intense as last summer and fall.

With that in mind, we’re actually testing the waters on selling it. We don’t need to, and actually sometimes don’t want to, but we’re thinking now about getting something even bigger.

We do love it, it’s a super great motor home and it’s perfect for a family of 4. The only thing to report is more of what I mentioned in this thread - I think that there was a lot of “deferred maintenance” on my unit combined with a lack of usage. So for as much as we use ours, a bunch of things went out that might have been preventable (slide motor, fuel pump, jacks, etc).

The most major of those was our generator. Unfortunately we think the stater died. It’s a $4,000 part so - with a 14 year old unit it just makes sense to replace. You can get a 5-6 year old Onan (the original is CAT/ PowerTech) for like $5k or $6k, so worth it to just upgrade. We actually never really needed ours much… the dash A/C blows cold so we were comfortable without rooftop A/C and the house batteries carry the fridge and other general power needs for +/- 36 hours. So we just would go from shore power to shore power and we’re fine.

We did not have an opportunity to get a pre inspection. I had a mechanic on speed dial when we looked at it and he walked me through the major chassis things, which have been strong throughout our ownership except for the fuel pump.

So to answer your question - get one that hasn’t been sitting or has had a lot of this stuff done for something 14 years old!

It’s on Facebook marketplace if you’re interested. Listed at $76k (would probably list it for $82k if the generator was working) but also flexible to come down some too! If it doesn’t sell we’re likely to just double down on it and do some fun upgrades like new finishes, solar power, etc. and stick with it another 5 or so years. We really do love it!

Feel free to text or call if you’d like more info. 678-644-0757.

Hey Marc!

Well, our 2020 took a bit of a different turn as well and we ended up pregnant with our third child delivering in April of this year! So, while we did use the motorhome a few times this season, it wasn’t as intense as last summer and fall.

With that in mind, we’re actually testing the waters on selling it. We don’t need to, and actually sometimes don’t want to, but we’re thinking now about getting something even bigger.

We do love it, it’s a super great motor home and it’s perfect for a family of 4. The only thing to report is more of what I mentioned in this thread - I think that there was a lot of “deferred maintenance” on my unit combined with a lack of usage. So for as much as we use ours, a bunch of things went out that might have been preventable (slide motor, fuel pump, jacks, etc).

The most major of those was our generator. Unfortunately we think the stater died. It’s a $4,000 part so - with a 14 year old unit it just makes sense to replace. You can get a 5-6 year old Onan (the original is CAT/ PowerTech) for like $5k or $6k, so worth it to just upgrade. We actually never really needed ours much… the dash A/C blows cold so we were comfortable without rooftop A/C and the house batteries carry the fridge and other general power needs for +/- 36 hours. So we just would go from shore power to shore power and we’re fine.

We did not have an opportunity to get a pre inspection. I had a mechanic on speed dial when we looked at it and he walked me through the major chassis things, which have been strong throughout our ownership except for the fuel pump.

So to answer your question - get one that hasn’t been sitting or has had a lot of this stuff done for something 14 years old!

It’s on Facebook marketplace if you’re interested. Listed at $76k (would probably list it for $82k if the generator was working) but also flexible to come down some too! If it doesn’t sell we’re likely to just double down on it and do some fun upgrades like new finishes, solar power, etc. and stick with it another 5 or so years. We really do love it!

Feel free to text or call if you’d like more info. 678-644-0757.

Thanks for the incredibly fast reply. Congrats on the new addition and I can understand where going from 4-5 would mean more space needed. I had been looking at this one 2007 NEWMAR ALL STAR 3950 For Sale in Atlanta, Georgia . For some reason I can't seem to find the link to yours on FB, could you share or drop in a DM?

Thanks

So we (myself, husband, and five kids ranging in age from 2 to 16) are currently in our much-loved ‘07 3950, enjoying the last bit of beautiful weather before winter sets in. I came across this thread because one thing we’d like is a second half-bath, and I remembered that an alternate floor plan had a bath and a half … anyway, probably not something we’ll do anytime soon but I wanted to see how Newmar did it. I’m just chiming in on this old thread to encourage anyone who’s thinking of an ATME for a family coach, because our family is a little bigger than average and we just love this thing. Happy trails!

So we (myself, husband, and five kids ranging in age from 2 to 16) are currently in our much-loved ‘07 3950, enjoying the last bit of beautiful weather before winter sets in. I came across this thread because one thing we’d like is a second half-bath, and I remembered that an alternate floor plan had a bath and a half … anyway, probably not something we’ll do anytime soon but I wanted to see how Newmar did it. I’m just chiming in on this old thread to encourage anyone who’s thinking of an ATME for a family coach, because our family is a little bigger than average and we just love this thing. Happy trails!
Hi @Pearlife I definitely don't have the family size you do but I was looking at the 3950 for a long time. I didn't want to go 5th wheel and found the class A really lacking in room for kids. In aisle bunks felt just weird and didn't really give the kids their space. We finally found the Dutch Star 4312, made in '15 and '16 and I found one early spring for sale.

RV - 2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4312 if you're interested in seeing it.

How's the sleeping arrangement on the 3950, I figured the bedroom sleeps 2 of the kids, are the others up front?

Ha - thanks! We’re going to take it cross-country (Atlanta > Oregon > Atlanta) in July, first.I’ve got it at a shop now getting a once-over on most components to be ultra sure it’s safe and ready. We’ll also get a good feel on what we’d want changed... I’m super executed and super terrified all at the same time.
I'm up the road from you (if you're in ATL). I just bought an 08 3950. Would love to know where you go for engine and chassis service and if you're happy with those places.

Hi @Pearlife I definitely don't have the family size you do but I was looking at the 3950 for a long time. I didn't want to go 5th wheel and found the class A really lacking in room for kids. In aisle bunks felt just weird and didn't really give the kids their space. We finally found the Dutch Star 4312, made in '15 and '16 and I found one early spring for sale.

RV - 2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4312 if you're interested in seeing it.

How's the sleeping arrangement on the 3950, I figured the bedroom sleeps 2 of the kids, are the others up front?
Sorry, I never saw your reply!
Teen girl and 6- and 8-yo boys sleep in the bunk (the little guy on a large pad between the two beds). Because the 3yo is loud and disruptive, she and I sleep on a pull-out couch (we replaced the factory couch which was a nightmare). Eldest is on the converted dinette and husband is on the queen (sometimes we both are, if the toddler is settled well—meaning we’ve been in the coach for several nights running, and she’s used to it and isn’t constantly waking up). Hope that helps!

Latest resources

Back