Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newmar All Star - Mid Engine - Any Thoughts / Recommendations?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
For the life of me I cannot find where the controller is though!
I know there's quite an age difference in our coaches, but the slide controller in ours is in a passenger-side storage bay amidships. It is fastened to a panel alongside the frame rail. Yours may be in a similar location. It won't be very big if it is like ours; about the size of a small book.

Good luck.

TJ

usually the controller is on the ceiling of a bay near or under the slide. I know that the ASME have very few bays that qualify, especially on the slide side. You might find it in the front bay below the driver. I do not remember what all that control panel operates besides the Jacks, but they are labeled. I know that a friend of mine that had an AMSE had to replace that panel up front.

Another quirk with the AMSE is the slide operation requires a good voltage. This is hard to do when the engine cannot be operational. Plugging into shore power, and making sure the chassis battery is above 12.0v, and using the battery interconnect became the standard operation for moving the slides. When shore power was not an option, then he would use the generator.

Here is an image of what it looks like:
94335.jpg

or possibly like this:
111475.jpg

Last edited:
Well.. I definitely want to keep in touch with you in case my slide out is stuck!! Can't believe you still can't find the controller! That's crazy. Gotta love the RV Life! Not for the weak!

usually the controller is on the ceiling of a bay near or under the slide. I know that the ASME have very few bays that qualify, especially on the slide side. You might find it in the front bay below the driver. I do not remember what all that control panel operates besides the Jacks, but they are labeled. I know that a friend of mine that had an AMSE had to replace that panel up front.

Another quirk with the AMSE is the slide operation requires a good voltage. This is hard to do when the engine cannot be operational. Plugging into shore power, and making sure the chassis battery is above 12.0v, and using the battery interconnect became the standard operation for moving the slides. When shore power was not an option, then he would use the generator.

Here is an image of what it looks like:
94335.jpg

or possibly like this:
111475.jpg
Thanks for the info!! We just got home a couple hours ago. 6,500 miles in 30 days. Whew! Now the ti can unpack it a bit and not feel rushed to get to the next place, I’ll explore it and find this sucker. Appreciate your help!

I just found this model and have plans on buying one at some point. I do have a question, it says that it is a mid engine, is it really in the middle of the RV? And how noise is it when driving ?
thanks Marc.

I just found this model and have plans on buying one at some point. I do have a question, it says that it is a mid engine, is it really in the middle of the RV? And how noise is it when driving ?
thanks Marc.
Yep; the engine sits between the frame rails at about the center point (front-to-back) of the coach. Engine noise was/is quieter than a front-engine coach but not quite as quiet as a rear-engine coach.

There aren't a lot of these coaches around as they were only built over the span of a very few years (2006-2009 IIRC). They are interesting coaches and have some good features, along with some that are not-so-great. Access to the engine is one of the drawbacks, though routine service access is available.

TJ

Thanks, I was wondering about how hard is it to get to the engine too. I still have a few years to really look for my next RV, but I have to say I think Newmar has the best for the money out there.
thanks again for the help.

I agree.. its quieter..FAR quieter than a front engine diesel or gasser. Of course a rear-pusher is the quietest. As for access and maintenance.. its amazing and much easier than 90% of the DP I've seen. Ask any mechanic that's worked on one.

Biggest difference is the handling.. the low center of gravity makes these things corner so nice and much less body-roll than any RV out there. Also.. no TagAxle needed! Save on tires and maintenence and best part - tolls!

Love mine. Good luck!

Sean

thanks Marc.
I don’t have anything to compare to as this is my first coach but the engine noise is very quiet. We can easily hold a conversation back there at 70mph. The engine is just forward of the rear axle and sits right in the middle of the kitchen. To access it there is a large floor panel in the kitchen (though the slide must be out). We absolutely love ours!

Latest resources

Back