• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Nitrogen in tires

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Adverse - only having to add air more often and what I see as accelerated wear due to not always keeping pressures optimal. Resulting in replacing tires sooner.

That makes no sense. If your tires were going to leak they would leak regardless of whether they were filled with plain old air or Nitrogen.
Do you adjust your air pressure according to what elevation you're at?

Studies have shown that normal air in a tire will escape a slightly faster rate than a 95% nitrogen fill - at passenger vehicle tire pressure.
In higher pressure scenarios, such as big rig tires, the difference is a more pronounced as the air loss %, based on a higher pressure, will be a larger psi difference.
Of course - if every driver checked and adjusted tire pressure every month then the difference between nitrogen and standard air will not be noticeable. But since most people don’t test/check tire pressures the nitrogen will maintain the tire pressure longer than standard air.
There is also the factor of the dryness of the air and lack of oxygen in the nitrogen fill, which can slightly slow down the tire degradation on the interior (of course the exterior is still exposed to standard air, but at normal atmospheric pressures).
Nitrogen does provide for a little more pressure stability - this can also mean a little less “hassle” of adding air as frequently. But on the nitrogen side there is more hassle of adding nitrogen when you do need it.
Nitrogen does make a difference. The question comes down to whether each of us finds enough value in it that we want to use it.

That's crazy dog!!!

Nitrogen is right next to oxygen on the periodic table,so no large difference between the two. However nitrogen is to the Left of oxygen making oxygen a larger element.

It is this difference in size that allows separating the two in typical machinery designed to do so!!!

As I said previously the membrane builtin to a tubeless tire will oxidize and allow the pressure to pass with time as it degrades. nitrogen will not oxidize that membrane, so no change will take place.

Because oxygen is smaller than nitrogen there is less likely hood the tire will loose pressure, when filled with nitrogen.

Adding to this, when the membrane is degraded enough, tire separation issues increase.

I don't expect the average person to actually know why they do what they do, but most do what's easy, and less expensive, some know the science behind what they do!!!

If this alleged "degradation" on the inside of the tires made any noticeable difference in the life of the tire it might be worth the hassle and expense of using N.
Like perhaps a lifespan of 2 years as opposed 5 years. Any actual difference in tire life would be so small that it would be unmeasurable.

Last edited:
If this alleged "degradation" on the inside of the tires made any noticeable difference in the life of the tire it might be worth the hassle and expense of using N.
Like perhaps a lifespan of 2 years as opposed 5 years.
You now know the science!

It will remain your option what you do with it.

Picking and choosing which science to believe in is the American way!

Can you show us the difference in tire life? Do you have any actual data to support the "longer life" claim?

Can you show us the difference in tire life? Do you have any actual data to support the "longer life" claim?
I'd like to see the data also, I personally think its hogwash, been using plain old air for over 25 years in my trailers, only 2 flats, my own fault, overloaded trailers in my younger days...

I’ll hazard a guess that if you drive your more than once in a blue moon, you’re going to wear out the tire faster than they’ll degrade.

nd if the tires aren’t used enough, they’re going to degrade just as fast from the outside. Unless of course you pay some service to replace the air in your storage shed with nitrogen.

Latest resources

Back