Nitrogen in tires

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
1718136589430.png

I apologize for any argument on this matter, I was only asking a answer for I thought was a simple question.
BTW thanks everyone who spent time to comment and post their findings.
I purchased new tires from the advice that the tires were probably seven years old, although one out of four went flat sitting in the driveway.🙄lol

Nitrogen test update results on my rig with 22.5 tires:

*Inside dual has air.
*Outside dual has nitrogen. All the pressure was removed and filled again with nitrogen from my nitrogen tank for the test.
*Both tires are 110 LBS at 70 degrees in my garage.
*Four hours on the highway the temperature increases, the pressure increases.
* Outside dual with higher temperature still has 5 LBS less pressure increase with nitrogen.
*122 LBS with nitrogen
*127 LBS with all air

Same test on my car with 15 inch tires. (Left and right sides because the wheels are not dual).
* There was only 1 or two LBS of difference with air compared to nitrogen.

As stated in this conversation, the biggest benefit is, nitrogen has no moisture.
From my results, on a hot day tire pressure using nitrogen is more stable with larger tires requiring higher pressures.

I find aluminum wheels leak around the metal valve stem because of the aluminum corroding.

I use an old hand bicycle pump, the stand on type, takes some effort, no problems in 27 years

The inside dual will typically run hotter due to proximity to the brakes. Would be interesting to hear what the results were if the test was reversed

Latest resources

Back