Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I'm working my way from AZ back to WA and instead of going through ID I'm hanging a left at Salt Lake and planning to spend a few weeks in OR. I'll have to eventually route up through Hood River near The Dalles and then up to Yakima. I'm deciding whether to spend some time in Salt Lake or beat feet west to spend more time in OR. It will be the late April time frame through mid May.

Any suggestions on what to see in OR during this time frame? Crater Lake is closed until June I believe so that's out. I either route Klamath and north or head west to the coast. I'm open to suggestions on getting the best OR experience during this timeframe.

I'm working my way from AZ back to WA and instead of going through ID I'm hanging a left at Salt Lake and planning to spend a few weeks in OR. I'll have to eventually route up through Hood River near The Dalles and then up to Yakima. I'm deciding whether to spend some time in Salt Lake or beat feet west to spend more time in OR. It will be the late April time frame through mid May.

Any suggestions on what to see in OR during this time frame? Crater Lake is closed until June I believe so that's out. I either route Klamath and north or head west to the coast. I'm open to suggestions on getting the best OR experience during this timeframe.
You will hit some rain in Oregon, but the coast will be rugged, and beautiful. On the coast, Elli would love Seaperch Rv in Yachats. It is dead on the ocean with a dog friendly beach. There are beautiful natural areas to explore nearby. Newport is nearby, and there is Pacific Shores Motorcoach Resort. If you can get a spot where you can see the lighthouse, it is special. One of our fav seafood restaurant is there, Local Ocean. The Sea Lion Caves might be of interest to you in this area. If planning works in travel, Casey’s Rv Park in Westfir, off of HWY 58 is just a beautiful stop, right on a fork of the Willamette. If you want green,forest, and gorgeous rushing water, you can do no better. Other towns we love on the coast, are Florence, and Cannon Beach. In mid Oregon, the Bend/ Sisters area is nice. In Bend, stay at Crown Villa. In Sisters, a cute little western town, stay at Sister’s Garden Rv Park. Judy D

Is Diamond lake also closed?

You cant pump your own gas, you can buy most illegal drugs and Oregon is home to Henrys.

I like it around Dexter Lake. I was there about 15 years ago, standing in the parking lot of the Dexter Lake Club, made famous in Animal House. It was closed, but the building and sign were still there.

Crater Lake Lodge may be closed for the winter but the roads may be open for you to visit. I have driven through the area twice during the winter when the lodge was closed. On a clear day the winter landscaping against the blue ski is amazing.

If you're into knives, Oregon/Portland has a ton of small mom and pop knife producers plus the Leatherman factory/store is there.

Neal,
When you say you are turning left at Salt Lake, Does that mean you are taking I80 across or are you going up using I84?

Neal,
When you say you are turning left at Salt Lake, Does that mean you are taking I80 across or are you going up using I84?
Yes, planning on west bound I-80 instead of going up through ID again.

Yes, planning on west bound I-80 instead of going up through ID again.
Is this something your looking at? It is going through Klamath Falls, Grants Pass and on to the coast. The coast has many lighthouses and coastline communities with little shops and restaurants. You will also find whale watching (if in season) and other things. The little jog you see just below Tillimook is where the town of McMinnville is located and the Evergreen And Space museum. Great Museum if you like aviation. Actually an engine is there that I worked on when I was in the Air Force.

Tillamook has the Tillamook Cheese Factory with all kinds of cheeses. Great place too. They too have an Aircraft Museum at the airport with WWII history and how Oregon was the only place that was bombed in the war.

Anyway, I traveled a good bit there in my 10 years working with ODOT.

If you have a particular route I can find stuff pretty quick. I still have connections there? BTW: Tons of wineries.

1616791903368.png

Thanks @BGMAC. I think this is the plan and heading over the coast sounds great. Pricey but it's worth it as I'll likely not be back in this area for quite some time so I better take it in now. Thanks Judy (@J&JD) as well, I looked as several of the CG's you mentioned and look great as well. Plan is shaping up. I'll probably have 3-4 weeks in OR as I don't think I'm spending much time in Provo then Salt Lake after Bryce Canyon. I'm not a fan of getting anywhere near Portland so I'll figure a way around that.

@Neal ,
If you are going near Tillamook, take a look at Netarts Bay Garden rv. We stayed overlooking the bay. Nice, clean, quiet park. They also own Sisters Garden rv in Sisters Oregon.

Latest resources

Back