• Commercial/Vendors welcome

OTR Mobile - Unlimited AT&T Hotspot or BYOD

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Well, I bit the bullet and purchased the Pepwave Max BR1 Mini with the Wan License. The Wan license enables a hardwire connection from my current WiFi ranger. (Not sure if I really needed this, but it's done). My main objective was better access to the internet...I did not want to pay Winegard for their data plan.

So far:
  • Moved the MyRozie Cat5 from the WiFi Ranger to the Pepwave
  • Connected the WiFi Ranger to the Pepwave
  • Did initial setup of Pepwave
So far, so good:
  • From the Pepwave control panel, I have access to the WiFi ranger signal.
    • Can also see most of the same Wifi signals on the Pepwave...not sure if I'm gaining or losing speed by going thru the WiFI ranger...will test that later.
  • MyRozie seems to be working properly
Now I need to figure out how to get 1 or 2 sim cards into the Pepwave so I have direct access to the internet without depending on local WiFi

Questions:
  • My phone plan is with Xfinity Mobile - I will try to "add a phone" and put the sim card in the Pepwave - has anyone attempted this?
  • Still struggling with buying a Mobley device on eBay (cost is $125 - $150) and hope I can get it activated. Has anyone done this recently?
  • There are lots of expensive plans with 1 or 2 year contracts that will provide the sim card I need. However, we are only on the road 3 - 4 mos / year.
    • Can someone point me in the direction of a decent plan with a short term contract?
Thanks...

Nice progress so far. Make sure you update the firmware on the pepwave to ensure the latest is installed. System toolbar area, firmware on left. You may also want/need to update the cellular modem firmware which is done in the private support area by changing the end of the URL to /support.cgi

Thanks @Neal ...I updated the firmware.

Also signed up with T-Mobile for their Mobile Internet plan. No contract, month-to-month, $10/mo for 2 GB of data usage. Although I have internet at my RV condo, this is cheap enough for good backup year around. Put the sim card in the Pepwave and was able to receive adequate signal inside the RV while inside the condo. Success!

T-Mobile has other plans with more $ and data per month...may upgrade while travelling.

Will now shop for another service for the other Sim card slot and compare with T-Mobile.

I did a Sprint plan that was 120GB when I signed up, somehow it showed 200 GB so I must have gotten upgraded. It was around $60/mo I think. I cancelled it when the pandemic started in my efforts to shed non essential bills. In some places it was good but Sprint coverage is spotty. The merger with T-Mobile will be interesting and may be a viable option. My $.02 - you'll burn through that 2 GB in an instant so be cognizant of what you're doing when on it. Preaching to the choir....

My $.02 - you'll burn through that 2 GB in an instant so be cognizant of what you're doing when on it. Preaching to the choir....
I agree...however, the 2GB should work for when not travelling as a standby for MyRozie communications. When travelling, will need to upgrade and/or have other plan.

can't say but this week, we'll putting it through its paces with Netflix, Amazon Video, Skype for Business Video Conferences, Slack, Email, School and everything else. I'll report if anything goes sideways but let no news be good news.

How is this working? I am trying to figure out the cheapest way to get the WiFi Range to work for me. I already have a MiFi $50/ mo (15GB - optional), iPad $39/ mo (unlimited).

Pretty good I must say. Haven’t felt the need to go buy anything else and I use it for work and play. In some areas, every one in the right can stream something simultaneously. In others, it might only be good enough for basic browsing and chat, but all that’s to be expected with cellular. In terms of it working, it stays connected and I’ve not had a single issue.

Update: AT&T has started cracking down on many of the 3rd party providers of unlimited service. The Mobile Internet Resource Center has been tracking a lot of volatility in this part of the market as of Spring 2020. Eventually, this caught up to us too. OTR Mobile still offers an AT&T Plan that is unlimited called the “Blue Blast’ plan. However, the rub here appears to be that the WiFi ranger is not compatible with this plan. We couldn’t get it activated on my device.
However, the MoFi4500 is as are a couple of other modems, so I’ve ordered the MoFi 4500 SIM7 which I’ll be installing and likely yanking the WiFi Ranger. Will detail that process on RVF but just a kind heads up if you’ve got a WiFi Ranger, OTR Mobile wont work for you.

Cough;pepwave;emoji

Too late. MoFi was cheaper and the return policy is decent. Also, MoFi supports 5G bands so it’s a bit future proof.

Latest resources

Back