• Commercial/Vendors welcome

OTR Mobile - Unlimited AT&T Hotspot or BYOD

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Received my MoFi 4500 today. Setup was pretty much plug and play because it comes with a lot of the carrier specific settings programmed directly into the Firmware. One of the great things about this little guy is that it supports Band Locking, so I can lock onto a specific carrier band and test my speed. Too slow? Change to the next band, lock and test again. Keep going until you get good speeds or have tested all bands, then lock onto the fastest one from your test results.

The control panel interface is ugly as sin, but the initial setup takes less than 5 minutes. That's not to say the interface limits you though. There are hundreds of settings to play with and capabilities to enable, so you can really get deep in the weeds with this thing if that's your deal. If its not though, I literally plugged in my SIM Card, selected AT&T, set my WiFi network name and password and I was online.

I'm pulling down 24.3mbps and sending up 17.5mbps with this little guy. The WiFi ranger occasionally gave us comparable speeds in some locations but er could never get decent speeds at the location where we are now. Even the paid Campground WiFi was terrible. I can't wait to see what I get out of this thing when I'm in a good service area with antennas on the roof!

For the less technically inclined, those speeds (24 down and 17 up) are fast enough for multiple devices to stream in HD simultaneously.

Right now, its sitting on my countertop pulling these speeds. I'll be embarking on ripping out the WiFi Ranger and putting some antennas on the roof and will document that process. The other great thing about this guy is I wont have to get on the roof anymore to change my SIM card!

I've had it all of 2 hours but if it keeps going like this, man what could I complain about?

Last edited:
Outstanding! Pictures?

Happy to. What would you like pictures of?

The device, speed tests, campground scenery haha. I was just curious of the device, I can google it.

9577605072.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 1.24.53 PM.png
IMG_8006.jpg

Nice antennas! They make all the difference and in some cases outperform roof antennas probably mainly from no cable length. Sometimes I'll use rabbit ears on my pepwave but haven't in a long time as the panorama on my air conditioner top has been great.

What was the cost of that unit?

Nice antennas! They make all the difference and in some cases outperform roof antennas probably mainly from no cable length. Sometimes I'll use rabbit ears on my pepwave but haven't in a long time as the panorama on my air conditioner top has been great.

What was the cost of that unit?
Just $284, with the antennas and $24 for overnight shipping all the way from Canada. Crazy. Also does TTL Override! (Not affliliated on that link)

Great choice, could be a viable affordable option for those not wanting something like a pepwave. Someone would have to do a comparison, I'm only familiar with the Pepwaves.

Great choice, could be a viable affordable option for those not wanting something like a pepwave. Someone would have to do a comparison, I'm only familiar with the Pepwaves. Not sure if Mobile Internet Resource Center has compared these or reviewed each and be able to compare from that.
Mobile Internet Resource Center did review the SIM4 model. I'm not a member so I don't have access to the review, only some very basic info. It sounded from what I could tell that they weren't a fan. Maybe MoFi took their review to heart and made changes with the SIM7 model, Idk, but right now, I'm happier than a pig in mud.

I have been looking for an alternative to pepwave as I dont use my coach enough to justify the expense and I don't want to start drilling holes on my roof or climb up there for that matter. I like this option. One question I have technically, what is the minimum speed you need to stream apple TV or roku etc as an alternative to satellite and would this be sufficient?

Latest resources

Back