Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Here at a campground one leg of the 50 amp service randomly exceeds 132volts. The surge protector cuts power.
Never thought that you needed to protect against over voltage service. Always worried about low voltage and spikes.
This mornings readings not over voltage yet.

IMG_1664.png

Yep, seen it a few times. Campground blamed it on the power company yadda yadda.

You don’t have an autoformer plugged in, do you? That adds 2% even when not boosting…so that will it raise it. I have had times when I have to take my autoformer out of the loops to lower the volts.

I’ll find a way to crawl underneath and disconnect it.
Also, called Autoformer, spoke with Ian.
They are going to replace unit. Just have to be somewhere long enough to accept delivery.
Swap should be quick.

Looks like this Autoformer should only be used when you get low voltage errors, not permanent hookup.🤬

Live and learn….

Looks like this Autoformer should only be used when you get low voltage errors, not permanent hookup
I disagree. Mine has been in use for years. As I stated before, when a brown out occurs it's too late.

To your point, maybe a defective unit. If I can take delivery at the International I’ll try the new unit on the way home. Line 2 seems to be the issue.
Having power cut out multiple times a day is a real PIA. And hard on equipment,
We’ll see…

IMG_1714.png

No Autoformer vs Autoformer

IMG_1715.pngIMG_1718.png

I had a similar issue… where I felt like the Autoformer was boosting when it shouldn’t. They agreed to swap it as well, but since I had it for several years, I was going to eat the shipping. So I never sent it in and tend to plug it in when voltage is lower than 115 or so.

But then, we have not been traveling much and have only been to the same 2-3 campgrounds for the past 3 years, so I have not been that concerned about it…

OK Joe! I have been skipping over autoformer posts, but your other post on this issue drew my attention!

In my not even close to humble opinion I can give you an answer!

Your house electrical system is not close enough to being balanced to avoid problems with the transformer.

If you want to fix it you need to have your house loads balanced. This will likely require a professional!

The autoformer is just not robust enough for the imbalance it is trying to deal with.

The Autoformer is not designed to balance loads… but to boost low voltage when detected.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back