• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved Passenger Seat Died

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Thanks everyone!!! Specially trained recent graduate of the Spartan Academy came to help, but now I KNOW what to do and where to look. This trip is the first time I've actually had a passenger, so will check wires and make sure we are careful rotating the chair. Fuse was definitely blown. Thanks again. ?
239E3BF6-3BD7-42CE-A6A1-6AF5CF3A2A4E.jpeg

Last edited:
Not a standard fuse.
Can we get a little more information on this aspect? Is this non-standard fuse easily available at auto parts stores, or is it a Newmar Parts item? And, is it something to add to the spares box?

TJ

Here is a picture of the fuse ... actually circuit breaker. This is a "Type 1 Automatic Reset" circuit breaker.

1603652940836.png

Here's a link to it on Amazon.

According to the catalog ...

Circuit breaker automatically resets after opening. If the fault still exists, the
breaker will continue to cycle between ON and OFF positions until the
overload is corrected. These devices are sometimes called "cycling
breakers." Type I/Automatic Reset circuit breakers do not address, or
correct, overcurrent or fault conditions. They only react by cycling OFF and
ON. Any overcurrent or fault condition that causes any Type I circuit breaker
to operate should be corrected as soon as possible. Continual vehicle
operation under an overcurrent or fault condition (causing the Type I circuit
breaker to cycle) is NOT recommended.

So I wonder if the circuit break is bad, or of there's a short that still needs to be resolved.

Here is a picture of the fuse ... actually circuit breaker. This is a "Type 1 Automatic Reset" circuit breaker.

View attachment 3851

Here's a link to it on Amazon.

According to the catalog ...

So I wonder if the circuit break is bad, or of there's a short that still needs to be resolved.
Excellent question. There is ALWAYS a reason why a fuse of circuit breaker opens. Only very rarely is it a simple failure of the fuse/circuit breaker. Usually, it is some kind of electrical short circuit. Sometimes, the cause is obvious and at other times, it is not. Intermittent issues are the hardest to diagnose.

My experience with rotating the driver/passenger seats is that it is all-too-easy to (a) rotate in the wrong direction and stress the pigtail and (b) get the pigtail pinched somewhere. Either situation can create a possible electrical problem. As a result, we rarely rotate our seats and, when we do, it is done with the utmost care.

TJ

Looks like a typical auto-reset circuit breaker. I bought one at NAPA. Interesting that the cover indicates that breaker-1 is 30A but the device that's installed is 25A.

If the breaker is operational it should reset itself after a few minutes, if they don't reset then it would be time to replace.

It's also interesting to me that circuit breakers are being used in the seat circuit. My 2015 Ventana has 30A fuses and I've had them blow from time to time so the circuit breaker route seems like an improvement.

@Neal True If there is a short replacing the circuit breaker won't fix that. I would expect the new circuit breaker to mimic the old. You could insert a 25A fuse where the circuit breaker is. If there is a short the fuse will blow right away. If it's an intermittent issue then the fuse won't tell you anything about that. In my case I think keeping the seat adjustment functions depressed when at the stop was blowing the fuse, for example holding the foot rest button down after the footrest had fully retracted.

Last edited:
The cover indicates 25A.
@flyboy013 Yes the cover for the seat circuit breakers indicates 25A. My observation was regarding the cover for Breaker-1 vs the device that is installed.

Last edited:
Can we get a little more information on this aspect? Is this non-standard fuse easily available at auto parts stores, or is it a Newmar Parts item? And, is it something to add to the spares box?

TJ
I just needed a mini 25 amp and that took care of the problem. Picked up a mini fuse assortment at Advanced Auto Parts. And I'm wondering if the fuse blew because we may have forgotten to turn off the seat warmer in addition to the chair being turned in ways it has never experienced before. ?
IMG_3586.JPG

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back