Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Replacing 2 6v house lead-acid deep cycle batteries.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bearsfan

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Fleetwood
RV Model
Bounder
RV Length
Chassis
Ford
Engine
V10
Fulltimer
No
I have 2 6v GC2-ECL-UTL house batteries. I can't tell how old they are so I would like to replace them with 2 12v AGM batteries. If I run them in parallel how would that affect the charging? My 1999 Bounder has the BCC so I'm not sure how that would come into play if at all. Also, any suggestions on brand and/or model would be nice, thanks in advance.

Charging wont be any different.

It is generally not advisable to parallel batteries as the internal resistance of one battery will draw the other battery down It is better to add a battery switch to select one battery or the other battery, Otherwise, "A BOTH B" and allow both to be selected for charging. But run on one battery at a time. This does not affect the total battery capacity.

Also from looking at amp hour ratings, I think you will be marginally ahead by sticking with two 6v so Im wondering why the decision to change to 12v? If you really want 12v and a little bump in amp hours an 8D would be nice if it will fit.

As for which batteries are better I really dont know. I steer clear of “made in china” batteries for a number of reasons but the “advertised” specs are all about the same and of course the chinese stuff is cheaper.

These guys BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics sell both US made and chinese AGMs so you might Ask Randy . He can be relied upon for honest answers and real experience.

Look at the total Ah of two batteries. Thus two 6V 100Ah batteries in series is 200Ah total. And two 12V 100Ah batteries in parallel is 200Ah total. Probably 12V batteries would be less expensive due to their popularity. And understand that a discharge of 50% or 12.0V to 12.1V is the safe limit to prevent battery damage.

Last edited:
I've decided to stay with 2 6v but I think I want to do the AGM style. Here are a couple batteries I found. Does anyone know anything about these brands?

2022-02-28 11.14.56 www.amazon.com Amazon.com_ NPP NP6-225Ah 6V 225Ah Deep Cycle SLA AGM Batte...jpg

Look at the total Ah of two batteries. Thus two 6V 100Ah batteries in series is 200Ah total. And two 12V 100Ah batteries in parallel is 200Ah total. Probably 12V batteries would be less expensive due to their popularity. And understand that a discharge of 50% or 12.0V to 12.1V is the safe limit to prevent battery damage.
Not correct. (2) 6V 100Ah batteries in series still result in 100Ah capacity. Most 6V GC batteries are around 200-230Ah though. While most, not all 12V batteries are around 100Ah capacity, and the Ah capacity is additive when configured in a parallel configuration, often some capacity gain can be realized with with (2) 6V batteries in series vs. (2) 12V batteries in parallel.

Last edited:
Not correct. (2) 6V 100Ah batteries in series still result in 100Ah capacity. Most 6V GC batteries are around 200-230Ah though. While most, not all 12V batteries are around 100Ah capacity, and the Ah capacity is additive when configured in a parallel configuration, often some capacity gain can be realized with with (2) 6V batteries in series vs. (2) 12V batteries in parallel.
Yes, you are correct and I stand corrected on the 6V batteries in series capacity. It is the Ah capacity of a single battery.
Whereas two 12V batteries in parallel will have the sum of the Ah of each battery.

My choice would be Trojan

Latest resources

Back