• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Replacing bedroom slide motor

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
When i was still employed, I worked with an older guy with more experience than me, and he used to say, "Don't look for trouble and you won't find it". Of course he wasn't working on his own equipment. :rolleyes:

When i was still employed, I worked with an older guy with more experience than me, and he used to say, "Don't look for trouble and you won't find it". Of course he wasn't working on his own equipment. :rolleyes:
Yeah but I was quite surprised how loose they were. Didn't count but like turns.... Retirement is great isn't it?

Great write up! It appears that besides taxes and the big D we will all have to face the dreaded Newmar slide motor test. Great job on the photos and explanation. Definitely saving this one.

Where are the slide motor control boards located where the "soft set" opening and close settings may be made? Are both (for the forward slide and bedroom slide) located in the same area? Does the bedroom slide motor control board have 5 buttons like the one which controls the forward slide with 2 motors? Thanks in advance for the response/s!

Yesterday I ordered a new bedroom slide motor # K01176M350 (135718 is Newmar's #) from a high rated EBay dealer/supplier for $400 plus taxes and shipping. Lots cheaper than the $808 that Newmar charges.
I just briefly spoke to a Klauber Engineer (producer of the unit) and he confirmed that all K01176M350's will have the brake (as per the Newmar info on their website). I was worried after ordering that my unit may not contain the brake because it wasn't mentioned on the EBay site.
The EBay supplier has 2 units left and figured I'd share this info for potential savings. If interested, Google the model number. I've read that this unit number also drives the front slides on recently produced DS's and likely Ventana's.
We're full timers and can't justify carrying another unit. Mine is supposed to arrive on Monday.

Well here we are, once again fixing slide motor issues. I have a long history with them and to me there is only one thing that actually fixes them. Wire ties like on an aircraft.

My 2015 DS 4369 had the issue and I had an ex A&E USAF Staff Sergent, that had come out to the coach to do some warrant work for Newmar, do the job. We did all three slides. Six motors in all because at that time the full wall slide was also two motors not HWH like 2016 an above. I know the person that owed that coach after me and he never had a problem with one braking or coming loose.
When I ordered my 2018 I was assured that LockTite was being used on every unit so the issue would not happen anymore. Wrong. One of my slides with electric motors had LockTite but the other did not.

So, we were out of motorhomes for two years, after fulltiming for 7, but we still wanted to travel so I now we own a 2016 DS 4018. And I am in the process of making it right. The bedroom slide has a broken motor so it will be replaced, and all four bolts will be wire tied for safety. I will have the bokts on the other two motors on the kitchen wire tied as well.
LOST IN FL could you plese email me. I see you just did this and would like to talk to you.
[email protected]

Hi to Neal, FL Steve and any of the old HOOT's group on board. Minni Hoots is alive and well. We run it just the the original Hoots, still no fees or up front money, unlike other rallies.

After visiting North Trail to get an idea on cost of labor for replacing the bedroom slide motor (I already purchased the motor from Newmar) and hearing "4-6 hours, at $220+ per. On some harder ones, they cut the shaft and install another coupling" (I didn't hear the exact figure as shock set in), I then decided it was something I'd take a swing at. At first glance, I couldn't understand just how it would disconnect as the shaft goes through the gear box and there would have to be a big enough gap between the shaft ends for the box to come out.

View attachment 16417
After breaking both trans torque bushings loose, I loosened the set screws on the retaining collars at the bearings and to my surprise, the shafts will slide through the gears to the outside of the box to make room for removal, BUT...for some reason, the floor is cut to clear the gearbox, but not far enough to remove it as the box hits the wood before it is able to clear the shaft.

View attachment 16421

View attachment 16418
I then broke out the Dremel and cut the floor a little further to clear the box.

View attachment 16419
At this point I had to also remove the bearing mount to get enough wiggle room to remove the motor.

View attachment 16420

Finally, the box was able to be removed! I was so pleased, I took a day off.

View attachment 16422

After that, it was just a matter of reassembly with the new motor and Stage8 fasteners. (didn't install the clips yet in the pic) A word of caution about the torque couplings. When first breaking loose, they will move a bit then tighten up again. You have to beat on the coupler housing and shaft to loosen the pawls in the coupler until the nut will rotate out. Not doing this will break the inserts and require replacement. I actually soaked them with Blaster the day before to make them easier to remove. I cleaned them with brake clean before reassembly. I'm pretty proud it turned out ok and actually works, but more so that I didn't loose a pint of blood doing it.

View attachment 16423
Just think of what you made (saved) per hour.

Great writeup. Saved for some future dark day. Checked mine again in the fall - all was good, although that inspection is of course only valid for ± 1 week.

Well here we are, once again fixing slide motor issues. I have a long history with them and to me there is only one thing that actually fixes them. Wire ties like on an aircraft.

My 2015 DS 4369 had the issue and I had an ex A&E USAF Staff Sergent, that had come out to the coach to do some warrant work for Newmar, do the job. We did all three slides. Six motors in all because at that time the full wall slide was also two motors not HWH like 2016 an above. I know the person that owed that coach after me and he never had a problem with one braking or coming loose.
When I ordered my 2018 I was assured that LockTite was being used on every unit so the issue would not happen anymore. Wrong. One of my slides with electric motors had LockTite but the other did not.

So, we were out of motorhomes for two years, after fulltiming for 7, but we still wanted to travel so I now we own a 2016 DS 4018. And I am in the process of making it right. The bedroom slide has a broken motor so it will be replaced, and all four bolts will be wire tied for safety. I will have the bokts on the other two motors on the kitchen wire tied as well.
LOST IN FL could you plese email me. I see you just did this and would like to talk to you.
[email protected]

Hi to Neal, FL Steve and any of the old HOOT's group on board. Minni Hoots is alive and well. We run it just the the original Hoots, still no fees or up front money, unlike other rallies.
Been out today with shoulder surgery. 🤢 Sent an email.

Latest resources

Back