• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Roadmaster Exact Center

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Death Wobble was experienced by Wrangler Owners in the New body Style which was introduced in 2018. Jeep has some new front-end parts to fix it and believe there was a warranty recall on it. Jeep Wrangler Forums has a long thread on it. www.jlwranglerforums.com - do search on death wobble. Not sure how this stabilizer will allow you to back up with jeep/vehicle period, if I read correctly. The tow bars want to spread apart, which will/can break parts, I would never do it. I have had to unhook several times when having to turn around in old MH. The 55-degree wheel cut on the new ones almost always gets me turned around without that problem.
Old-RVer
Watch the Death Wobble on my 2018 Rubicon 2dr with 12000 miles with out Exact Center and with Exact Center
The stabilizer (base model) has a 75 hold at center. That hold will keep tires centered when backing up, it will cause tires to scrub on gravel. I have had many RVs since I started in 1976 with a Class C Coachmen. Back then I did not tow much later in 1998 I bought my first diesel pusher, since I have had many. I find the need to back up is usually when I pass the DEF pump or I miss a driveway turn. If you have a Wrangler with Exact Center and you put a spotter outside to watch your front wheels you should be able to do exactly what is done in the attached Roadmaster video. If you had a front tire hit a hole or a rock while backing the wheel might caster, but if your spotter stopped you it would be easy to do it again. Straight is fairly easy, around curves and making three point turns a tire camera or spotter is the only safe way to do this. We have done this a lot with Wranglers. In October I did it several times with my new 2021 Bronco. Even without the steering stabilizer the Bronco will back OK, even around slight curves. Not as good as a Wrangler with Exact Center, but with the very stiff Bronco steering with engine off it can be backed with a spotter. Backing is at end of first video. at 56 seconds animation shows how centering works and 1:08 you can see backing around a curve .
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Ya’ll let me know when the F150 versions are available (if ever). I’d definitely pay to be able to go backwards while towing, even just a few feet, without worry of something going snap.

Ya’ll let me know when the F150 versions are available (if ever). I’d definitely pay to be able to go backwards while towing, even just a few feet, without worry of something going snap.
MapNerd
Eric or Josh at Roadmaster could make a mount if they had a truck to work with. He just needs an attachment point on tie rod or drag link and a clear shot to the frame. It is not Rocket Science. We did F350 and F450 and Ram 5500 all 4wd. those three take a longer unit Roadmaster needs to build. I think F-150 has the same travel as E-350 and E-450 and Wrangler. Roadmaster has a few hundred employees so some one is sure to have a F-150. Josh has 100 MM units 5.93" of total travel, He has stock I think in February for 350 and up that need 150MM. Two wheel drive and independent front suspensions will take a bit of learning, but Roadmaster has plans for both for their towbar customers.
here is a link to more backing video. Exact Center Backing 093021 R2 music.mp4
there is a lot of backing here.
Here is more from Roadmaster explaining how the device works. It is very simple. Put your fist together and push, then have a grand kid or some one pull from each side. The Exact Center is your fists pushing hard. On big RV's we had over 350 pounds pressure, that is like having two line backers holding your steering. I went smaller and now have a Dynamax Isatta 5 28ss explorer 4WD. On it I am now at 220 lbs and I will go higher in the spring. On the big units it is hard to get too much pressure because the power steering is so large. On a Wrangler you could get too a heavy feel. Maybe at 150 lbs on your F-150 steering might be stiffer than you would like. On the big rigs (big light boxes) more pressure when right will make the wind go away. On a 39 foot Freightliner Super C it took 330 lbs and with that I could drive through just about anything. My 2018 Rubicon at 75 lbs was just right. We towed that to Roadmaster in Oregon. My son has the JK you will see behind the Class C backing he likes 75 lbs. Roadmaster will be able to raise the pressure real soon. Their tools are almost ready.

Just ordered one. I won't be towing till the Tampa show, but I'll let you know impressions when I get it installed. Not shipping yet, but should be within a week or so.

The claim is that you will be able to back up with your Jeep toad hooked up 4 wheels down. That would be great if true. Looking forward to seeing reviews.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produ...nc.com/products/rss/exactcenter.php [/QUOTE]

MapNerd
Eric or Josh at Roadmaster could make a mount if they had a truck to work with. He just needs an attachment point on tie rod or drag link and a clear shot to the frame. It is not Rocket Science. We did F350 and F450 and Ram 5500 all 4wd. those three take a longer unit Roadmaster needs to build. I think F-150 has the same travel as E-350 and E-450 and Wrangler. Roadmaster has a few hundred employees so some one is sure to have a F-150. Josh has 100 MM units 5.93" of total travel, He has stock I think in February for 350 and up that need 150MM. Two wheel drive and independent front suspensions will take a bit of learning, but Roadmaster has plans for both for their towbar customers.
here is a link to more backing video. Exact Center Backing 093021 R2 music.mp4
there is a lot of backing here.
Here is more from Roadmaster explaining how the device works. It is very simple. Put your fist together and push, then have a grand kid or some one pull from each side. The Exact Center is your fists pushing hard. On big RV's we had over 350 pounds pressure, that is like having two line backers holding your steering. I went smaller and now have a Dynamax Isatta 5 28ss explorer 4WD. On it I am now at 220 lbs and I will go higher in the spring. On the big units it is hard to get too much pressure because the power steering is so large. On a Wrangler you could get too a heavy feel. Maybe at 150 lbs on your F-150 steering might be stiffer than you would like. On the big rigs (big light boxes) more pressure when right will make the wind go away. On a 39 foot Freightliner Super C it took 330 lbs and with that I could drive through just about anything. My 2018 Rubicon at 75 lbs was just right. We towed that to Roadmaster in Oregon. My son has the JK you will see behind the Class C backing he likes 75 lbs. Roadmaster will be able to raise the pressure real soon. Their tools are almost ready.
1640908424547.jpeg

I think this was on a Ford HD. ?? is that a twin I-beam? is Twin I beam a real thing any more? If there is good space it is fairly easy to find a place to mount, you just need a tie rod, drag link or anything that moves with steering and a clear path to a fixed member. This might be a E-450 class C RV. I am not sure what it is, but it does show mounting is flexible

I'm very familiar with the phenomenon called "death wobble" and visit and post on the Jeep forums frequently. Actually, the forces backing up are probably the same as forces encountered during braking while being towed, and are multiplied without toad brakes. (as I know some who don't use a braking system on their toad) The JL platform has a "wandering" problem that was addressed by replacing the aluminum steering box on early models (problem thought to be different expansion characteristics) with the steel box on later models. (didn't really eliminate the problem) This Exact Center should help the wandering.
Death wobble is a problem that USUALLY happens when altering the suspension (like a lift) without correcting the caster with longer lower control arms. There are MANY other factors that can cause it, but I would think there are very few new jeeps roll off the line with death wobble.
Jim that is my 2018 Wrangler Rubicon 2 dr in the Death Wobble video. It is bone stock 12000 miles shown with and without Exact Center. It was recalled and the factory stabilizer was replaced, then that was replaced with Exact Center. I Beta tested the Exact Center for 4 years, so I have a fair understanding of the change it makes on a Wrangler. We did a 2015 Rubicon JKU a 2018 Rubicon JLU and many other Wranglers. The 98 TJ has a 4" long arm lift with 33" tires with a 318 V8 shown being backed behind the E-350 Class C is my sons. We have a lot of video of backing. The Roadmaster Night Hawk tow bar is not being spread at all. The owner of Roadmaster (Jerry Edwards) totally supports monitored backing with all of his tow bars. If you drop tire in a hole or hit a curb the wheel will caster, but backing up at a pump on paved or level gravel roads or dry grass is easy to accomplish. I started RVing in 1976, and have never stopped. I have had B,C, Super C (3) Diesel pusher high end 4-5 and Prevost (2). The goal all those years was to find a tow bar that would allow backing. The tow bar (there are patents that failed) never worked as it was not the issue. The Exact Center stabilizer puts 75 pounds of resistance against your wheels castering/turning. It will allow for easy straight backing and slight curve backing all while front tires are monitored. look at front wheels on Jeep you will see a little scrubbing as they resist turning. Exact Center Backing 093021 R2 music.mp4

Hmmm…
Not sure how this is any different than the multitude of Steering Stabilizers that have been used for years.
If I towed with a Jeep, a stabilizer would be the first things I’d install; if for nothing more than towing.

This reminds me that I still haven’t done my backup drill with my wife in our Raptor. I want to see how difficult it would be for her to hold the steering wheel while I back up; with and without motor running for power steering.
If you like your wife with two good arms maybe you should not do that.
I have a CanAm Defender 1000 Limited with HVAC a plow and tracks and I put a Exact Center prototype on it. I really do not see the need, but if I put the wife in it and push it backwards, maybe? Not!

This would definitely work. I just don't know how it would feel when off roading.
Redbaron If you off road you should like this. Same Jeep TJ from backing video's Here is a early Beta test in very deep mountain ruts from logging operation at 59 seconds Todd drives no hands in deep ruts and at 1:18 minute seconds the ruts turn, but the EC stabilizer holds and he climbs out of the ruts. Keep watching we have more video if interested.

Hmmm…
Not sure how this is any different than the multitude of Steering Stabilizers that have been used for years.
If I towed with a Jeep, a stabilizer would be the first things I’d install; if for nothing more than towing.

This reminds me that I still haven’t done my backup drill with my wife in our Raptor. I want to see how difficult it would be for her to hold the steering wheel while I back up; with and without motor running for power steering.
Captain: If you like off road you should like this. Same Jeep as in backing videos. Watch "no hands at 58 seconds and watch EC hold straight when ruts curve at 118. Keep watching and we do have more. This was early testing in 2017. We have a lot more., we own an old 350 acre ski resort with 10 miles of trails.

Redbaron If you off road you should like this. Same Jeep TJ from backing video's Here is a early Beta test in very deep mountain ruts from logging operation at 59 seconds Todd drives no hands in deep ruts and at 1:18 minute seconds the ruts turn, but the EC stabilizer holds and he climbs out of the ruts. Keep watching we have more video if interested.
I do a different type of off roading that logging trails. Most of mine are river beds, and mountain terrain with lots of rock and very slow driving and maneuvering. In the conditions I drive, it is about a 37" tire getting assistance to come back into place beyond what the factory power steering can provide.

Most likely the only solution for me is the power ram steering.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back