• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Roadmaster Exact Center

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Go watch the video at post #9. At 1:09, it shows a Class B pulling a Jeep, backing a Jeep on a curve with the wheels turned.

You usually don’t need more than about 10’ of backing room to set up for a 3-point turn.

It seems possible because Exact Center does not allow the wheels to freely turn out of sync with the motorhome. It always wants to pull the roads wheels center.
Ok, I watched it. It definiitely seems to hold the Jeep's wheels at center, or close to it. That's one of the points I was making; the steering wheel has to be locked so the wheels don't caster.

I DO notice, however, the right front is scrubbing, and can tell you that I wouldn't want to push my big Raptor against it's big meats. Having a 600hp 45' rig push a full-sized Raptor with straight wheels into a turn...I FEEL...is not smart and I'm not about to try it.

I think the tow-bars can take a bit of pressure that's been engineering to handle normal braking forces. However, having seen another owner COMPLETELY DESTROY his RM hitch after hitting a weird dip and braking situation, I'm inclined to have a bit of reservations and how much off-axis force the bars can take.

All this said, I'm out on this conversation. It's really not applicable to my setup. So, as above, I'm not going to speak on it any more because I'm not an expert on this product, and don't intend on testing it. I hope it solves the issues with Jeeps, though, and is a great product you guys.

Here is a thread from JL Wrangler that might be helpful

Hucke
The most modified is my son's 98 TJ 4" long arm lift but only 33's and a V-8. That has been a test mule for a lot of offroad and highways. He does 80 in that thing and drives with no hands. Before we started it was hard to keep in a lane, the wind would also blow him all over the road now it is rock solid and he has a 75 lb unit and he says it is just right. My grand son has a Comachee with a lift and 35's. He says it drives real good actually better than my 2018 JL Rubicon when it was stock. We also had a 2015 JKU Rubicon that was stock. We have done a lot of RVs and HD trucks. A friend who is a fire chief had a new Ambulance Rescue truck on a Ford 4500 4WD. It had a short wheelbase and had a lot of weight behind the rear axle. It was very hard to drive over 50 mph uncontrollable. We put a prototype 220 lb unit on it and it turned into a big SUV. I test drove after and it was as good as any truck/RV I have ever driven. I have a new 2021 RV a Dynamax Isatta 5 28ss explorer 4WD on a Ram 5500 chassis at 20000 lbs. It was not terrible but not near as good as I wanted. The center was soft and hard to keep now with a 220 lb unit it drives like a Suv. You would not feel the change any pressure
I would think you would be very happy with any pressure 80 to 110 lbs. We put 90 lbs on a 2015 JKU Rubicon, I drove it 250 miles and thought it was great, the owner, my son's wife thought it too heavy feeling so we changed to solid rod ends and told her we lower the pressure. She liked what she thought was lower pressure but did not like the very fast sports car-like feeling. We then changed it to 75 lbs with poly bushings and this made her very happy. We did not tell her it was lower pressure, she just thought we changed the ends. Our RV unit has an on-the-fly trim feature. That makes install final centering a 2 second button push and lets an RVer trim the center to have the EC push against side winds etc. We did not think Jeepers would want that attribute. However, I have an idea I thought you (heavy mods, big tires, big lifts) might find interesting. I am an inventor so I would be interested in getting some users to test new ideas. This one would allow you to have full EC ability when you want, a trim feature(allows center change), and the ability to lockout part first 1"-2" of tie rod movement or all tie rod movement, it would just be as it is with no stabilizer if 100% locked out. We have a patented lock that will hold 600 lbs. We would give you a toggle-like lever to flip to shut off the centering part. This ability is not a product yet.
Fox and Falcon have their adjustment because you can really feel the changes and they need them. I suspect you want it adjustable because at 3 it is very stiff. This is different. We can give you the control you need with a very good solid center and a wheel you can turn with one finger. Watch the drive video of the 2015 JKU driven with one finger, which was a 90 lb spring. We need some users to report how they like the 75 lb and then give them 100 lbs to see what they think. I do not think even at 120 lbs on a big lift, big tire wrangler will be able to be driven with one finger. If we do not tell people there is an "X" pressure push back few would notice anything. The second day you drive your rig after an EC install I think you will not notice the pressure, it will not be anything you notice as heavy. This is not even close to the resistance a Falcon or Fox creates. My 2021 Bronco Outerbanks 2.7 has a much stiffer wheel than any level of assistance we have done on EC. My wife's 2020 Lincoln Aviator has very heavy steering too. Must be a Ford thing. I do not think you will want the Falcon adjustment, this is just a solid center and a solid hold at center yet still easy to turn. We have many videos, if you search there are several on Wrangler JL. More pressure will help people who do Toad backing as it fights additional weight the front tires out on the ground making them want to turn.
I need RM to get to their pressure change in house (near complete) so we can try a few things.
Maybe this new steering stabilizer will minimize the need for constant corrections, thus a JL with a small dead spot will be less noticeable since you won't have to correct as often.

You need to try a base unit EC and see how you like it.

Yes, I already ordered it on Dec 30. Waiting for it to arrive. :)
Here is a letter from a local fire chief explaining how his staff liked the Exact Center prototype we installed on the village Ford 5500 HD 4WD rescue ambulance. He waited for his workers to notice the improvement from the Exact Center addition. I drove this Ambulance after the install, it was like a big SUV.

JSheppard.jpeg

Anyone have any new info on performance of the Exact Center System?

I installed one on the Jeep but haven't towed yet. It does make the Jeep drive much better especially in crosswinds. Kind of like a mechanical Comfort Drive. Mine is an original 75 lb unit but in exchanging it for a 100/110 lb one based on their latest testing results.

I ordered the 110psi unit.

I ordered one yesterday after waiting 2 months for eTrailer to add it to their site.
Today Roadmaster wanted to know my year and model (gave them that yesterday, '21 JLUR-diesel) lifted or not and tire size. Have a Mopar 2" lift in the garage waiting for good weather. Have 285/70R17 tires but looking at wider wheels and 35x12.5R17 tires. Didn't say which model I was getting, just that if it was too much I could exchange it

Got a chance to tow the Jeep (twice now) with the EC installed. Tracked on the road great behind the coach. I did try backing up in front of the house, and did so for about 15 feet before I ran out of room with no issues. It would work great for truck stop fuel lines if you have to move, but not sure about a three point turn. I'm running mine in addition to the stock stabilizer with a Synergy high mount kit.
2022-04-08 16.09.50.jpg

If you have the EC prior to this week, there is a serious flaw I discovered. I sent 2 units back to Roadmaster for evaluation and they have determined that a new manual calibration is required.

They resolved the problem last week, and will be replacing all units sold with new ones.
Here is the official statement:

Any EC purchased and received before 4-11-2022 will be replaced due to a computer error on Traction filling. [email protected] is now doing
non-computer filling with manual pressure varication.

I did a video for Roadmaster that helped prove a problem. If your EC acts this way, replace it.

Yup, I've got a 110 unit coming hopefully soon as a replacement. I know they had a problem with the filing machine that Tony at PIW has repaired on his end. Not sure if RM has fixed theirs yet.

Latest resources

Back