• Commercial/Vendors welcome

RVing with E-Bikes

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@Rich W. you might want to consider folding e bikes that can stow in your basement unless you want to ride trails then they won’t work.

On securing your e-bike, I was informed by the management at one coastal park I recently visited, that there is a ring of e-bike thieves working the west coast, paying transients to go into RV parks specificially to steal e-bikes which they then re-sell. Sounds a little far-fetched, but these days… So I’ll take the warning seriously and lock up the frames and wheels and if the batteries are removable without a key, I’ll keep them inside. I also will not buy used from Craigslist for a variety of reasons, this one included.
The phenomenon is real. A retired local police ifficer here on the east coast had his weapon stolen from his truck, in the campground. The thieves were caught. It was discovered that these people are sent around the country and trained to steal certain items. In one night items were stolen from many vehicles here. Lovely world without moral values. 🙁

Hi Rich, I was in an RV park in coastal San Diego county last Jan where I know the owners, and they indicated they were having ebikes stolen nightly. Sign of the times I'm sad to say.

I've enjoyed my Trek PowerFly 4 but it's heavy and I really enjoyed my Trek Marlin 7 mountain bike which I still have. They are heavy and they are hot items for theft and after a few bikes got stolen while several of us were in AZ we all got bike insurance. I went with this company, around $200/year.

I also use a bike alarm and Apple AirTag under the seat.

Bought a pair of these today: Turbo Tero 3.0 | Specialized.com
each with rack, light, kickstand, fender kit, and probably a few extras like some bags, helmets and stuff. One meduim (for the boss), one XL for me.

8CE6217C-B11C-48DD-A1E5-DDCEAF31A4D8.jpeg
08457403-3BA6-499A-A1E8-3AB4EA6DC547.jpeg

Too bad, they don't make E-Bikes like my three-wheel electric scooter. If you try to push it without the key in it the motor will power on and will spin the wheels in small burst forward and then in reverse and the siren goes off.

Last edited:
These have a walk-the-bike mode with light assist since they weigh 51lbs. I guess if you get a flat and have to walk a ways…I don’t know. But its there if you need it. Actually you can adjust the assist in 10% increments, with your phone no less. There’s an app for that….

Since I probably mis-read your post and have it backwards, they also have a motion sensing alarm that will tell you someone is messing with your bike. I think I’ll get insurance so I don’t have to worry too much; that and some decent locks.

I think I’ll get insurance so I don’t have to worry too much; that and some decent locks.
Very nice bikes. I think insurance would be a prudent move.

Today was gadgets and add-ons day. Among other things, for my wifes bike I got a cell phone mount as per her request. I’m going with a cycling GPS. I chose a simple one because I don’t need all the extra capabilities of the latest/greatest.

I bought one of these for each bike: Garmin Varia RTL515 Radar Tail Light | The GPS Store . Apparently it sends an audible and visible signal to the display or compatible phone when traffic approaches from the rear, as well as providing another tail light.

Also a little bag that is secured snugly under the seat that will contain a spare inner tube, some basic tire tools, and a couple CO2 tire inflator kits, and a small bag that rides on the top of frame just behind the gooseneck for keys, wallet, phone etc. The bike sales guy recommended against a handle bar bag for handling reasons. Bigger bags for the rear rack will come after need/want is determined.
Lizard Skins Mega Cache Saddle Bag

Profile Design Aero E-Pack TopTube/Stem Bag

Last edited:
I am glad my DW hasn’t seen this thread.

Latest resources

Back