• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Safe traveling tips for RVers in uncertain times

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
TJ and Ben are spot on IMHO. In the times we live in you have to stay alert and always be aware of who and what is around you. If something seems "off" it probably is. The old saying "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" was popular when I began my career. Even though it is true today for both LEOs and civilians alike, it has a much more profound meaning for current LEOs.

Some of these "modern" times and the recent changes they have brought about may even start to dictate where we can safely travel in our RVs as older retired Americans.

As I mentioned in another post reference California making it legal to steal up to $950 without being charged with a crime, this may not just effect the closing of most major chain retail stores in their larger cities as we have already observed. This could start to bleed over to other parts of California as well. How would you like to be in a Yellowstone gift shop, or a large California interstate truck stop, and 5 or 6 people storm in and fill large shopping bags with whatever they want and storm out. Will this type of behavior bleed over to not only these retail stores but California campgrounds. Why couldn't a car stop at your site and several individuals get out and load up all of your chairs/tables, and grill. As long as the total value was less than $950 in California there hasn't been a crime committed?

Definitely not the country I grew up in, nor the one I gave my youth up to protect, but it is the reality.
I know the feeling; same thought here. Very sad. Where/when I grew up, we never locked our doors and there weren’t hordes of people camping in the city park or alongside the highway. People actually thought that work was a good thing and asking for a handout was embarrassing.

And, “[giving] up my youth to protect” was an honorable thing. Thanks for your service.

TJ

The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) tweeted a release Tuesday advising city residents to “cooperate and comply” when being robbed.
What a way to live🤬

The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) tweeted a release Tuesday advising city residents to “cooperate and comply” when being robbed.
What a way to live🤬
I saw that as well. Strange times.

Situational awareness is the best thing you can use to stay out of trouble. Be aware of where you are, where you are going, what is around you. If it doesn't feel right, it's probably not.

Firearms; If you get one, learn how to use it. Take classes. Take a lot of classes. Buy bear spray, buy hornet spray (they both spray about 25 feet). Be aware of firearm laws where you are going. Not only the weapon but ammo restrictions.

Last edited:
Let's share some safe traveling thoughts, revisited as this was sort of discussed some time ago. No need to get political here, I certainly could but must refrain, the moral is after the upcoming election we could see more instability in our nation. I believe the "peaceful protests" (pp) occur in high visibility locations, high value targets (businesses, high end auto-dealers, i.e. the opposite lifestyle of those protesting). In my opinion the safest place to be and still be able to enjoy yourself is at a campground enjoying your RV. However, some thoughts come to mind as vulnerable situations and items of concern to raise awareness for all of us.
  • Lock your basement doors and of course your entry door if it doesn't auto-lock
  • If your toad is like mine where the battery has to be disconnected hence leaving my toad unlocked while being towed, consider using your 2nd set of keys for your toad to lock your doors. You don't want people getting in your toad while stopped in a pp situation.
  • Be aware of your route and consider alternate routes and do not suffer from "get home'itis" or "get'to-campground'fastest'itis".
  • Consider staying longer at campgrounds and minimize time on the road in unknown locations
  • Have non lethal self protection on you as much as possible as well as stored in various locations of your RV. There is a lot of gun talk on the forum but chances are you won't use that nor should you. Good to have, but you are going to get into a world of a mess if you used one at someone or even presenting it. Stock up on non lethal solutions first and foremost. Pepper spray is a good start.
  • Don't plan to dine out. You're camping, eat like a camper. Get firewood and stay put. Stock up on marshmallows! Stock your foods of choice and enjoy.
  • Don't be confrontational if confronted. Whether at Walmart, a grocery store, or highway situation. Keep your mouth shut! People want to antagonize you and trigger you. Keep your mouth shut and keep a low profile. I remember a situation discussed on this site long ago in AZ involving a grocery cart and not moved out of the way of a car which ended up in a fight resulting in physical injury.
  • Don't call attention to yourself. Clothing, hats, etc.
  • If your plans can wait, stay home but I think this is extreme. No need to live a locked down life, just be smart
  • Be aware of the news in your current area and the area you're traveling to. Use your phone, ask the campground staff of where you're going if there are any concerns to be aware of or route suggestions.
  • Use your head and be smart
I’m a veteran, licensed to carry and raised to believe we have sacrificed the very best of our countrymen to keep and enjoy our freedom. Ain’t going to live like a scared mouse!!

What a way to live🤬
Maybe they're getting a cut, to subsidize after 'defunding'? 😄

Situational awareness is the best thing you can use to stay out of trouble. Be aware of where you are, where you are going, what is around you. If it doesn't feel right, it's probably not.

Firearms; If you get one, learn how to use it. Take classes. Take a lot of classes. Buy bear spray, buy hornet spray (they both spray about 25 feet). Be aware of firearm laws where you are going. Not only the weapon but ammo restrictions.
I did buy one of the big cans of bear spray at Glacier Montana. Keep it close while traveling. Glock lead sprayer is my back up :)

rex.png

What a way to live🤬
If that was the only advise given in that release then I can't begin to express how disappointed I am in the LAPD. If they added, as they should have, to try to memorize details of what your attacker looked like, spoke like, smelled like, etc., then I'm okay with that generally.

I have never been willing to kill anyone over property, mine or someone else's. With that being said, I'm also not willing to allow some thug to threatened my safety. If an armed individual threatens me he better be an excellent shot, because I am.

Latest resources

Back