Safe traveling tips for RVers in uncertain times

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Well that looks fun.

How about a real show stopper. BEAR spray like the park Rangers use. Can fire it up 40 feet away and if it can stop a bear just think what it can do to a human.
Stuff will drop anyone and is much stronger than normal pepper spray.

Florida's DeSantis moves to allow citizens to shoot looters, rioters targeting businesses.
The draft legislation also includes measures that would make protesting which disrupts the public by blocking traffic, a third degree felony. The law would also reportedly grant immunity to drivers who unintentionally kill or injure protesters who were blocking traffic.

How about a real show stopper. BEAR spray like the park Rangers use. Can fire it up 40 feet away and if it can stop a bear just think what it can do to a human.
Stuff will drop anyone and is much stronger than normal pepper spray.
Where can you buy bear spray??? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Let's share some safe traveling thoughts, revisited as this was sort of discussed some time ago. No need to get political here, I certainly could but must refrain, the moral is after the upcoming election we could see more instability in our nation. I believe the "peaceful protests" (pp) occur in high visibility locations, high value targets (businesses, high end auto-dealers, i.e. the opposite lifestyle of those protesting). In my opinion the safest place to be and still be able to enjoy yourself is at a campground enjoying your RV. However, some thoughts come to mind as vulnerable situations and items of concern to raise awareness for all of us.
  • Lock your basement doors and of course your entry door if it doesn't auto-lock
  • If your toad is like mine where the battery has to be disconnected hence leaving my toad unlocked while being towed, consider using your 2nd set of keys for your toad to lock your doors. You don't want people getting in your toad while stopped in a pp situation.
  • Be aware of your route and consider alternate routes and do not suffer from "get home'itis" or "get'to-campground'fastest'itis".
  • Consider staying longer at campgrounds and minimize time on the road in unknown locations
  • Have non lethal self protection on you as much as possible as well as stored in various locations of your RV. There is a lot of gun talk on the forum but chances are you won't use that nor should you. Good to have, but you are going to get into a world of a mess if you used one at someone or even presenting it. Stock up on non lethal solutions first and foremost. Pepper spray is a good start.
  • Don't plan to dine out. You're camping, eat like a camper. Get firewood and stay put. Stock up on marshmallows! Stock your foods of choice and enjoy.
  • Don't be confrontational if confronted. Whether at Walmart, a grocery store, or highway situation. Keep your mouth shut! People want to antagonize you and trigger you. Keep your mouth shut and keep a low profile. I remember a situation discussed on this site long ago in AZ involving a grocery cart and not moved out of the way of a car which ended up in a fight resulting in physical injury.
  • Don't call attention to yourself. Clothing, hats, etc.
  • If your plans can wait, stay home but I think this is extreme. No need to live a locked down life, just be smart
  • Be aware of the news in your current area and the area you're traveling to. Use your phone, ask the campground staff of where you're going if there are any concerns to be aware of or route suggestions.
  • Use your head and be smart
I can agree with about everything Neal except what I highlighted. The problem with most of these spoiled "peaceful" little demonstrators is that no one is standing up to them. I will always try to ignore first but if confronted then all bets are off.

Unfortunately I feel it necessary to carry Pepper spray everyday. It is at the ready, always. Even Though I have a carry permit and have trained with this option I choose not to carry everyday. At night, when camping or on the road, I'll carry but just going about my day I choose not to carry.
To get into the philosophy a bit, if you do not have a weapon, you will think twice about a sketchy situation and choose not to go there. With a weapon you might have more "confidence" a sketchy situation is OK to proceed.
At a gas pump, pepper spray or equivalent is a much better choice, in my opinion. Too many innocents around, and volatile substances.
Those that know me understand my physical limitations regarding retreating, but that is always the second option, the first option is not to put myself in that position. Using deadly force is way, way down on the list of options for me. But deadly force is on the list, like the "nuclear" option.

Latest resources

Back