Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Let's share some safe traveling thoughts, revisited as this was sort of discussed some time ago. No need to get political here, I certainly could but must refrain, the moral is after the upcoming election we could see more instability in our nation. I believe the "peaceful protests" (pp) occur in high visibility locations, high value targets (businesses, high end auto-dealers, i.e. the opposite lifestyle of those protesting). In my opinion the safest place to be and still be able to enjoy yourself is at a campground enjoying your RV. However, some thoughts come to mind as vulnerable situations and items of concern to raise awareness for all of us.
  • Lock your basement doors and of course your entry door if it doesn't auto-lock
  • If your toad is like mine where the battery has to be disconnected hence leaving my toad unlocked while being towed, consider using your 2nd set of keys for your toad to lock your doors. You don't want people getting in your toad while stopped in a pp situation.
  • Be aware of your route and consider alternate routes and do not suffer from "get home'itis" or "get'to-campground'fastest'itis".
  • Consider staying longer at campgrounds and minimize time on the road in unknown locations
  • Have non lethal self protection on you as much as possible as well as stored in various locations of your RV. There is a lot of gun talk on the forum but chances are you won't use that nor should you. Good to have, but you are going to get into a world of a mess if you used one at someone or even presenting it. Stock up on non lethal solutions first and foremost. Pepper spray is a good start.
  • Don't plan to dine out. You're camping, eat like a camper. Get firewood and stay put. Stock up on marshmallows! Stock your foods of choice and enjoy.
  • Don't be confrontational if confronted. Whether at Walmart, a grocery store, or highway situation. Keep your mouth shut! People want to antagonize you and trigger you. Keep your mouth shut and keep a low profile. I remember a situation discussed on this site long ago in AZ involving a grocery cart and not moved out of the way of a car which ended up in a fight resulting in physical injury.
  • Don't call attention to yourself. Clothing, hats, etc.
  • If your plans can wait, stay home but I think this is extreme. No need to live a locked down life, just be smart
  • Be aware of the news in your current area and the area you're traveling to. Use your phone, ask the campground staff of where you're going if there are any concerns to be aware of or route suggestions.
  • Use your head and be smart

Stay at low end rvparks. The high end ones are a neon sign as Neal stated above, the trouble will likely be those living at a lower level than you. Your worst outfit is likely the best to wear and the dirt from a long wear will discourage the desire to get your wallet.

Does not sound like living in “Home of the Brave, land of the Free”......The way it is going, it will become the home of the sheep, and land of the freeloaders.

Does not sound like living in “Home of the Brave, land of the Free”......The way it is going, it will become the home of the sheep, and land of the freeloaders.
I agree. But. Home of the Brave, land of the Free is a pipe dream, maybe even a pot pipe dream. Reality is sticking your chest out in the wrong location will get a coctail thrown at you. I don't know if that makes one a sheep for being safe, but the freeloaders are in fact the problem.

A totalitarian Chief wants everyone to be freeloaders, so he can gain total control of their lives. Sound familiar? Unfortunately, this is not the America of our forefathers. Let us hope we won't have to pay the same price that they did to get it back, if that is even possible. They warned of this.

Be aware of your surroundings.
Avoid known problem areas.
Don't call attention to yourself.
Never "display" or discuss a firearm or other weapon.
Mind your own business.

"If you put yourself in a bad place, bad things are likely to happen!"

TJ

I was at a gun show recently with my wife's dad. The guy a few booths down from ours had hand held tasers for sale. up to about 10 million volts!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: I'm thinking of getting something like that so I may be able to defend us without actually shooting someone. These things were small enough to fit in your pocket. All you got to do is stick it against the person and pull the trigger. I pulled the trigger a few times and I PROMISE YOU, you wouldn't want too much of that thing!!! They also had a small wand that kinda looked like a flash light. The barrel of this thing had a shiny metal place on it that was the contact zone. The theory is that they will try to grab it from you. When they wrap their hand around it you pull the trigger and light them up!!! Then while they are laying on the ground in shock, you get back in your RV and drive away. I think our most vulnerable place is when we're stopped at the fuel pump. Someone can walk up to you before you know it. Half the time you're on the opposite side from the entry door. Having one of these in your pocket could buy you some time to get away.

From what I can tell those lasers require safety glasses. That would not work well in self defense.

I was at a gun show recently with my wife's dad. The guy a few booths down from ours had hand held tasers for sale. up to about 10 million volts!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: I'm thinking of getting something like that so I may be able to defend us without actually shooting someone. These things were small enough to fit in your pocket. All you got to do is stick it against the person and pull the trigger. I pulled the trigger a few times and I PROMISE YOU, you wouldn't want too much of that thing!!! They also had a small wand that kinda looked like a flash light. The barrel of this thing had a shiny metal place on it that was the contact zone. The theory is that they will try to grab it from you. When they wrap their hand around it you pull the trigger and light them up!!! Then while they are laying on the ground in shock, you get back in your RV and drive away. I think our most vulnerable place is when we're stopped at the fuel pump. Someone can walk up to you before you know it. Half the time you're on the opposite side from the entry door. Having one of these in your pocket could buy you some time to get away.
IMHO, if you need to be close enough to touch the person threatening you, then you are WAAAYYY to close! :oops:

TJ

IMHO, if you need to be close enough to touch the person threatening you, then you are WAAAYYY to close! :oops:

TJ
I agree. But when someone walks up on you at a gas pump what's your alternative? Pull your gun and shoot him? I thought we were looking for alternative ways to defend ourselves besides a gun. These hand held tasers are just the ticket. Put your hand in your pocket and get ahold of it. If the dude moves in with bad intensions pull it out and light him up!!

Latest resources

Back