• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Safe traveling tips for RVers in uncertain times

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I've been approached at the pump 2-3 times now. Not a pleasant experience. Never at a truck stop other than friendly banter but grocery store gas stations, etc. seem to attract more attention. I need a wrap that makes my RV look like a wreck until arriving at the CG :)

From what I can tell those lasers require safety glasses. That would not work well in self defense.
Safety glasses? Really? The "experts" ALWAYS show guys wearing safety glasses in their videos when shooting guns too, but in real life who walks around in a pair of safety glasses??? :rolleyes: Nobody I know.

I was just wondering, since this is much higher intensity and they all come with glasses. The ones I was looking at were 2-5 watts. These could do some real eye damage. many of the really powerful ones are also quite large 9-14".

I've been approached at the pump 2-3 times now. Not a pleasant experience. Never at a truck stop other than friendly banter but grocery store gas stations, etc. seem to attract more attention. I need a wrap that makes my RV look like a wreck until arriving at the CG :)
I've been OK at truck stops as well. But occasionally at night at a gas station I'm not familiar with you always get that guy that walks up outta nowhere looking for a hand out. I agree, it freaks me out too.

I travel for my job and normally spend 3 nights a week in a hotel. I travel all over the Southeast. I don't always know when I'm going to stop for gas or food and I don't always know which neighborhood I'll be in when I get off an exit in a city while I'm out of town. That's why I keep one gun in my suitcase and one in my car at all times. But I really don't want to have to shoot anyone unless it becomes absolutely necessary. But I will if I have to. I just think that the tasers would be a way to protect yourself without having to get the police involved in a shooting incedent.

I was just wondering, since this is much higher intensity and they all come with glasses. The ones I was looking at were 2-5 watts. These could do some real eye damage.
I pulled the trigger on a few at the gun show. Must have been 100 people in there at least. When this thing starts to SNAP CRACKLE AND POP!!! everybody turned to see what it was. OMG I would hate to be on the receiving end of that thing!! But to put down some 250 pound drugged up crazy guy it need to be powerful. These certainly were!!!

I've been OK at truck stops as well. But occasionally at night at a gas station I'm not familiar with you always get that guy that walks up outta nowhere looking for a hand out. I agree, it freaks me out too.

I travel for my job and normally spend 3 nights a week in a hotel. I travel all over the Southeast. I don't always know when I'm going to stop for gas or food and I don't always know which neighborhood I'll be in when I get off an exit in a city while I'm out of town. That's why I keep one gun in my suitcase and one in my car at all times. But I really don't want to have to shoot anyone unless it becomes absolutely necessary. But I will if I have to. I just think that the tasers would be a way to protect yourself without having to get the police involved in a shooting incident.
With tasers you have to know the local laws. In NYS, for instance, almost everything that is legal in most of the country is illegal here- including tasers, slingshots and sticks. Go figure.

Last edited:
Be careful at rest stops outside big cities. A lot of the protestors are coming from out of town and stop at the rest stops. We saw some just outside Houston this summer looking for trouble and they were dressed in all black.

For what it's worth, I would never fire a taser next to a fuel pump - just exactly the last thing you want is a small vapor explosion right next to your rig.

Neal said it at the beginning, pepper spray is a good option. I had occasion to experience the effects of pepper spray in a self-defense class once - and I can tell you there are few people who are going to remember what they were about to do after getting a dose of that in the face.

Latest resources

Back