Safe traveling tips for RVers in uncertain times

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Joe,
It is like knowing which days to use your seat belt, and which days to relay only on your air bags.
Be ready for the worst, and hope for the best. Having a firearm does not mean you have to use it. But it can change the other party's demeanor very fast. Me thinks ?

It is like knowing which days to use your seat belt, and which days to relay only on your air bags.
Be ready for the worst, and hope for the best. Having a firearm does not mean you have to use it. But it can change the other party's demeanor very fast. Me thinks ?
My training is that the only time it leaves the holster is when it will go bang. I do not believe in using a firearm for persuasion. In my opinion threatening with a firearm is a very good way to get dead.

You should tell all that to the cops. Tell them not to touch their gun unless 100% ready to kill.

You should tell all that to the cops. Tell them not to touch their gun unless 100% ready to kill.
When they upholster their gun they are ready to kill. I submit that you would be ready to deter.

I had an interesting discussion on this subject last night with my grandson, a police officer in a small Washington city. His take is that pepper spray "hurts," but doesn't stop most people. As part of his training he has been sprayed with the stuff several times and was required to continue subduing an assailant. He said that while not pleasant, every officer in his academy class (around 75) was able to do it. "And, none of them were on meth!"

As for Tasers, he said that the field failure rate is at least 40%. The connecting wires are fairly fragile and break relatively easy. Heavy clothing on the assailant can prevent proper penetration and, again, they won't work. He carries one when on duty because he is required to do so. He also said that department policy requires that he not deploy it if the assailant has a deadly weapon and is advancing unless there is at least one backup officer present and ready to use lethal force if the Taser doesn't work.

It is, apparently, the generally accepted opinion of LEOs that they would love to have an effective non-lethal force option, but nothing on the market is reliable enough...at least yet...to bet your life on!

TJ

I am going to leave with this, I am not a policeman, nor do I pursue people for whatever. If I see a problem, 911.
Nor do I take an aggressive stance in any situation, unless there is immediate danger to me or love ones.
Avoidance is First, Retreat is second. If an aggressor leaves me no choice, I will attempt at deterrence, if they persist, then and only then will I consider deadly force.
If an aggressor is within 20 to 25 feet, you cannot draw fast enough before they are on you and in my case, chances are good that I will lose. Even if your weapon is out, any delay and you are in hand to hand before you can pull the trigger.
This $hit happens fast.

I am only trying to protect me, my love ones and potentially my possessions. Let's leave it at that.

I am going to leave with this, I am not a policeman, nor do I pursue people for whatever. If I see a problem, 911.
Nor do I take an aggressive stance in any situation, unless there is immediate danger to me or love ones.
Avoidance is First, Retreat is second. If an aggressor leaves me no choice, I will attempt at deterrence, if they persist, then and only then will I consider deadly force.
If an aggressor is within 20 to 25 feet, you cannot draw fast enough before they are on you and in my case, chances are good that I will lose. Even if your weapon is out, any delay and you are in hand to hand before you can pull the trigger.
This $hit happens fast.

I am only trying to protect me, my love ones and potentially my possessions. Let's leave it at that.
Good points, @JoeHogan! We have two sayings in our family that sums up our approach. The first is "If you put yourself in a bad place, bad things are likely to happen!"

And the second is "Consequences!" You need to understand the consequences of your actions; good or bad.

Your points cover both very well.

TJ

I'm not sure I want to have to carry a big can like that around with me the whole time I'm getting fuel. A smaller pocket sized option would be better. Did you notice that it is only 2% Capsacian??? (pepper) That must be some bad stuff!!
Here is what I carry. Note that it is a gel not a spray. There is pro and cons with this. However, if you are in a confined space, a gel is much better than a spray. Or if the wind is blowing in your face, with a spray you end up spraying yourself.
The gel is a stream of Pepper material. Like silly string. You can send it out 15' or so. In my case, the more distance the better. Also the cons are you need to hit a vulnerable area. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NKSPR8/?tag=rvf01-20

Latest resources

Back