• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Kannon

RVF Regular
RV Make
wanting to buy--not sure what
I am a former RV'er.Wife has been in a nursing home many years and end is coming.Thinking a Class B would be good for me,a dog and a parrot.Been trapped in a senior citizen home for many years because of my wife.Looking to break out and considering full timing in a Class B.But I am concerned that I am too old (84) to do that.Health is good and I can swim 600 meters every other day(home has an indoor heated pool).Thinking of a vehicle that has all the latest driving safety aids.
Have read that RVing is more difficult today with all the people living that lifestyle.

The changes are pretty much limited to some crowded parks, the need for reservations more often, prices up on RVs and private RV parks, and quality of workmanship lacking in units 2020 and newer as builders hustle to keep up with demand. If you can work around all that you’ll probably do just fine.

Buy something lightly used and/or use an inspector, make reservations and/or head for less popular areas. You’ve probably seen enough of the National Parks by now and if you’re like me, don’t have much use for big, crowded parks. I find that when just traveling around I don’t need reservations for one night stays, and for destinations I can plan ahead and make those reservations in places I want to stay. With all this in mind, my guess is you’ll do just fine.

Not sure about traveling with a bird, but you probably have that figured out. What kind of dog? Some parks prohibit certain breeds, but I traveled extensively with 2 100lb+ German Shepherds and never had that problem. Now its a Sheltie and a Aussie, and they are pretty much useless for security purposes, but easier to travel with.

Which brings up the other thing I was reluctant to mention that’s changed. I used to boondock much more freely than I do now, partly because of my choice of coach, but also because there are just more people with no values and nothing to lose, enforcement is down, and crime is up. It doesn’t keep me from enjoying the RV life, and I don’t dwell on it, but my situational awareness is definitely more acute, especially now that I no longer have my security team : Angus and Lalka, fondly remembered.
F4C8B801-3D12-4F65-A2C7-6FDB11A650C7.jpeg

I have a rescued Lab mix.My favorite dog is a Shepard but I have had bad luck with the ones I owned.None lived beyond the age of 8.I learned you should not have a Shepard in a sunny area--the can get Pannis, an eye condition. My dog used to wear sunglasses outside,they were called doggles.I learned dogs can have epilepsy.I learned vet bills can be $15,000.

I have a rescued Lab mix.My favorite dog is a Shepard but I have had bad luck with the ones I owned.None lived beyond the age of 8.I learned you should not have a Shepard in a sunny area--the can get Pannis, an eye condition. My dog used to wear sunglasses outside,they were called doggles.I learned dogs can have epilepsy.I learned vet bills can be $15,000.
We bred GSDs for a few years and our two keepers were good European stock, but still a handful at times. Still lost the male to some blood disorder at nine years old, and the female of just old age at 12. The present crew is pretty much trouble (and vet bill) free.

Skipper (right) and Isle of Caledonia (Callie):
E13EDB18-6324-4FC0-9875-75F1C21AD147.jpeg

Sounds like you are in better shape than many half your age. I would say go for it. I hope I can still be doing this at 84.

First, I’m very sorry about your wife’s condition which has had to have been very hard.

As to your question, when can you go? I say get out and enjoy as much as you can while staying safe, it’s a crazy world out there! I can guarantee I could not ever say I have swam as much as you in one day!

I‘ve got a funny story for you. You just reminded me of a campground owner who told me this. A light bulb went out on one of the lamp posts in the campground and the owner saw a senior gentlemen up on the bucket thing that lifts you up in the air, replacing the bulb. The owner told him not to do that because he was too old. He was also 84, by the way. The man said to the owner”don’t you ever say to me old. When I am old I will let you know.”

Latest resources

Back