Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

So you think it's easy owning an RV Park ???

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
In today's session of “You think it’s easy running an RV park?”, I present my latest quandary.

A very nice couple contacted me before booking and asked if their son and his wife could rent a site next to them if they booked at my park. The only issue was that their son had a 9-month-old daughter, and we are an adults-only park. Their argument was that a 9-month-old child wouldn’t be running around causing problems.

I explained that while I understood their point, making an exception would upset other guests, so I had to say no. They booked anyway, and their son found a place across town.

After the guests arrived, they asked again if their son, unhappy with his current park, could book the site next to them, promising the child would not be a problem. I stood firm and said no but found them a place nearby where they could all be closer.

A short time later, I received a call from a fellow in town who had bought a new fifth-wheel that was too large for his driveway. He booked a couple of weeks at my park while renovating his driveway. I made it clear that he couldn’t bring kids to hang out in his new fifth-wheel. He understood and arrived later that day.

It was late, and I had been waiting for my last guest, but I wasn’t in the park when they arrived. I saw them on the security cameras, and what I saw was not good. Two young boys were tossing a football around in front of their site, which was directly across from the guests I had previously told couldn’t bring their children.

The fact that we are an adults-only park is no secret. Every single page of our website states that guests must be 18 or older, in bold print at the top of every page. You even have to checkmark a bold paragraph at checkout time. How this fellow missed it is unfathomable.

To make matters worse, this fellow and his family had driven 9 hours to get here, and the day before, they spent $950 having a company deliver and set up a small travel trailer from RV Share. No way he can move it to another park.

So, as a quick recap, I have a family of four, in a rented travel trailer, in a site directly across from two other campers I have already told cannot bring their kids.

What would you do in this situation?

I don’t think you have much choice, @Jim . They have to go.

Get in your LADP and head out on the road. No phone number available.
Kidding aside. Rules are rules. Tell them they have relocate to another park. No exception. Refund unused days and wish them well. If they need help relocating then help them in order get this over with. I’d also if it you haven’t already put an agreement box they check in the reservation process adults only. So you have proof that read it and accepted it in case the sheriff has to get involved if they refuse to leave.

THEY HAVE TO GO!! If any issues with them leaving, contact law enforcement and get them to assist in removal!

As a thought, make your RV PARK a "55 and OLDER" Park, as other parks around the country have done.
Then research & maybe "mimic" their rules of enforcement, which would eliminate the potential problem.
The downside to this, is it may cost you some business in the "55 and under" age group!

A dilemma for sure, and something that you definitely do not need to encounter in the future!

Good Luck, & see you in less than four weeks! Looking forward to it !!

Well, it’s been a learning curve, that’s for sure. It goes without saying that the father screwed up in a big way, but there are a lot of moving parts to this mess.

A family vacation ruined. A guest with a large outlay of money to rent an RV, as well as to rent space at our park. And moving him to another park isn't an option as the RV was delivered on his behalf and he was incapable of moving it.

Sure, none of these are my concern, but I really wanted to find some sensible middle ground for an unfortunate situation caused by this fellow’s lack of reading comprehension.

I took the father aside, explained the problem and told him the kids will need to be subdued and kept at his site. As kids will have a great deal of energy, I showed him where we have a large field and told him to take the kids over there to play cornhole or throw their football. Also suggested several hiking trails they can visit as a family.

And lastly, I visited with the other guests and explained the situation. All showed understanding, but I'll follow up with them a little later and hopefully they will still be OK.

Going forward, I will implement another policy to address people who show up with children, even after signing our (online) "18 or older policy". As the father missed repeated references to being an Adult only park, I doubt he'd of read the "what will happen if you bring kids" addition, but it'll be good to have as backup.

Now move the son in with the 9 month old and all is well with this situation.

Now move the son in with the 9 month old and all is well with this situation.
Actually, I found a place for them at a friends place not far up the road. I would have moved my problem guest over as well, but there was no more room for them and no way to move the rented trailer. But that would have been the ideal solution.

You have fallen victim to a manipulator!!!
The perpetrator knew the rules,and likely has used the trick before!!!

You have done future victims no favor by bending your rules, this "I'm a unsuspecting victim" routine is used by way to many "I have rights" even when I'm in the wrong,group of misfits!

You did no flavors to society!!!

Latest resources

Back