Chassis
Spartan
Engine
450 Cummins L9
TOW/TOAD
2015 Jeep Rubicon or 2017 RAM REBEL
Fulltimer
No
We just purchased the Blu Technology water softener and water filter combination. I am interested in feedback and opinions about putting soft water in the water tank, and if so, will it last any longer or impact the integrity of the water quality? Our water tank capacity is 105 gallons.

Your softener removes calcium and magnesium from the incoming water. The water won't change when in your tank, you simply have a tank of soft water.

Your softener removes calcium and magnesium from the incoming water. The water won't change when in your tank, you simply have a tank of soft water.
What about the chlorine content?
I think the concern is the water sitting in the tank

Chlorine is added by many municipal water districts as a disinfectant, many RV owners regularly add a small amount of bleach to their tanks for the same purpose. What is your concern?

Household bleach, undiluted, has a shelf life of 6 months in an unopened bottle. After 6 months, it will start to degrade. Bleach mixed with water at a 1:9 ratio (i.e. 10 percent bleach) is potent for about a day. At a 1:4 ratio (20 percent bleach) is will remain potent for about a week. This is why a bleach solution for disinfecting should be made up daily. Diluted bleach is very unstable.

The food service industry is required to use test strips to check their bleach solutions through out the work day to ensure the "bleachy water" is still potent enough to disinfect surfaces. Otherwise one is trying to disinfect surfaces with salt water. Diluted bleach breaks down into fairly harmless salts as it degrades.

This information is easily found online, just incase you don't believe me. It's easy to verify.

Worrying about free chlorine in your water, is like commenting about the brass buttons on a woman's low cut blouse. She knows that isn't what has your attention!

With the recent attack on the water supply, via Chemical spills, the chlorine content is the minor concern! Look up my posts on making the water safe if that is what you want to do. By the way! Chlorine is not the answer you should be looking for.

Stuart, a water softener doesn't remove chlorine.
I highly recommend getting a large 16000 grain water softener because there's some areas where I have to regenerate every week. Water almost hard enough to walk on. Actually surprised by the amount of deposits left on the hose end metal prior to the softener.
Been full timing now 3.5+yrs using a softener and drinking most systems. (except some areas of CO, NM, AZ, NV, southern TX thus far) where we use bottled water for drinking. I also reco adding a sediment filter prior to the softener.
One campsite in Pueblo West, CO where we've stayed a month had so much iron in it that the sediment filter had a few oz of red gunk paste at the bottom of it.

Stuart, a water softener doesn't remove chlorine.
I highly recommend getting a large 16000 grain water softener because there's some areas where I have to regenerate every week. Water almost hard enough to walk on. Actually surprised by the amount of deposits left on the hose end metal prior to the softener.
Been full timing now 3.5+yrs using a softener and drinking most systems. (except some areas of CO, NM, AZ, NV, southern TX thus far) where we use bottled water for drinking. I also reco adding a sediment filter prior to the softener.
One campsite in Pueblo West, CO where we've stayed a month had so much iron in it that the sediment filter had a few oz of red gunk paste at the bottom of it.
Thank you, what brand softener do you recommend?

Thank you, what brand softener do you recommend?

We have the Pro+Aqua along with the recharge kit. 16,000 grain.

Where we are now in FL getting about 2,000 gallons before needing recharge and the recharge kit makes that easy.

Recharge kit can be used as a filter also but we have the Clearsource Ultra filter (3 different filters) before the softener.

We use an On the Go brand softener. They all work the same way when removing minerals.

Latest resources

Back