• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Starlink

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We're in Couer d'Arlene, I'll meet you halfway if the fish is fresh.

@sheridany I got the griddle too, haven't used it yet. Looking forward to your review in the Ninja thread.

I logged into the admin panel this morning to check the overnight event log. I see repeated log entries for this. Should I be turning off the smart check? Not even sure what that is. I went ahead and set those to DNS lookup using the two @Neal gave me yesterday for Google and Cloudflare.

Aug 22 07:04:33WAN: Cellular (Priority 2) disconnected (WAN failed SmartCheck) in SIM slot A
Aug 22 07:03:58WAN: Cellular (Priority 2) standby (33.80.101.178) in SIM slot A

Failed the health check so it thinks it went offline. Is it showing back online? Are you not busy cooking? Why are you looking at this?

Here are my Pepwaves, first is my WAN for Starlink, then I'll show my Cellular setup. Subject to change without posting.

WAN-Starlink.png

cellular-top.png

cellular-bottom.png

It is online. The most obvious answer is because you are my hero? It is too early to cook. Barely light outside, and it rained again last night—time to walk the beach. The dog thinks seals are four-legged friends. Uh no.

You guys have edumacated me on something. I've been going to doctors for years for health check-ups and now I'm finding I can do it health check-ups without leaving my home.

Doesn’t Medicare call you EVERY week letting you know you’re eligible for in home?😡😳

Hi - just looking into getting starlink for my 2022 newmar london aire - for those that use the standard mobile (not the mounted flat high performance) - what have you found to be the best way to mount once you get to your destination? Does it take awhile to lock onto a signal? I optioned for a flagpole mount when I ordered my London Aire - can I use that somehow, or do some of you just put the unit on the ground? And, then, what's the best/cleanest way to run the wiring to the inside modem? Also, I assume if I have the standard mobile - I can move to a nearby cabin to use as well, when I am not in my RV? And, is it easy to pause service when you know you will not need it, or do you have to plan relatively well to utilize that option? Any other info/advice you think would be helpful would be greatly appreciated - sorry for all the questions...I am definitely a newbie with these techy things!
Hi mag- I have a 2nd generation Starlink and I just put it on the ground and it runs great. I have the router in the bay where your girard awning plugs are located and run the cord through the middle of the rubber seal as there is a slit there and then close bay door.

Eventually I will have Newmar run an Ethernet cable from my pepwave which is located in the driver’s OH cabinet to the basement and mount router in first bay where Dometic cooler is located.

Yes, your RV Starlink is mobile. So you can definitely use it at a cabin, side of the road, anywhere, as long as you have a power source for the router.

Pausing service is a breeze, as is restarting it. Just click a button on the app.

As for other info, I have landscaping flags and cones in case I have to put the Starlink in a spot where I am concerned that someone might not we see it well.

I also covered the cord with a sleeve to protect it from critters gnawing on it.

Hope this helps.

1724417093626.png

IMG_1509.jpeg
Starlink works well for us. Very reliable and have had good success avoiding obstructions.

We bought a Gen 3 Starlink this summer. We use Fubo for TV at home, so can use it for TV without activating our Dish account for the coach—cost is about the same (Starlink vs Dish) and we have TV and internet. Seems like we always get 200+ speeds.

I use a harbor freight flagpole with a dishy adapter (from Amazon) to get the dishy above the coach. Secure the flagpole with two dual suction cup lifts (typically used to carry glass/mirrors) on the slide out side and attach the pole to the suction cups with Velcro belts.

I mounted the power supply and router in the basement and ran the cable over the frame to the electrical bay, where I store the dishy when we move. I keep the dishy in the electrical bay as it fits nicely beside the power cord. This way I don’t have to disconnect any connections. I keep the dishy in a padded “pizza warmer bag” to protect it during movement.

Takes about 10 minutes to set up.

Latest resources

Back