RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
2022 FR Wildcat 5th wheel.
I’m curious how long I could, safely, go Boondocking if I wanted to. What is a safe way to test this. I can test while at a park and could unplug from shore power and truck. Do I just watch the on/off light on the refrigerator? Just use normal lighting until they start going out? What if I unplug in the morning and everything is still running at bedtime?
Only 3rd time out, bought brand new came with 2 deep cell batteries. Don’t want to damage anything but curious.
Obviously inexperienced newbie.

Russel,
Just "two deep cycle batteries", does not mean much. Batteries are like water tanks. They have useful capacity (size in ampere hours). My coach had 8 deep cycle AGM's and I can manage two days without AC, just basics. With two batteries, I don't see how (guessing) you will last 24 hrs without recharging them somehow?
Another thing to consider is the size of your fresh water and waste tanks and how long you can manage without dumping or getting water?
Can you manage without AC if you don't have a decent size generator?
All it takes some practice and you will find out what are your limits. No one here can guess exactly how long you can manage in the wild :unsure:

2022 FR Wildcat 5th wheel.
I’m curious how long I could, safely, go Boondocking if I wanted to. What is a safe way to test this. I can test while at a park and could unplug from shore power and truck. Do I just watch the on/off light on the refrigerator? Just use normal lighting until they start going out? What if I unplug in the morning and everything is still running at bedtime?
Only 3rd time out, bought brand new came with 2 deep cell batteries. Don’t want to damage anything but curious.
Obviously inexperienced newbie.
Does your refrigerator also work on propane?

A simple, inexpensive and easy to set up solar panel kit can go a very long way to extending your boondocking. I run a 100 watt Harbor Freight solar panel kit to keep my battery (yes, a single 150 amp hour) topped off and I move my panels by hand to max perform their generating capacity throughout the day. No air conditioning here, of course, with this small system but I have lighting, furnace / blower fan heat in the winter, refrigeration on propane (needs 12 volt control board power) and the ability to pump fresh water with my Sure Flow pump.

On cloudy days, I can supplement with a 500 watt Jackery power station tied into the trailer battery or better yet, I could add more solar panels for better capture of battery recharging.

My solar charge controller monitors my battery voltage and I don't allow the voltage to drop below about 12.1 volts to prevent battery damage.

Rick

An easy way to test battery longevity is to buy a digital 12volt meter/gauge and plug it in or wire it into a 12volt circuit. When it gets down to around 12.2 volt when not under a load then you know it’s time for a charge.

I also converted every lamp in the trailer to LED. Made an enormous difference in the night time power consumption.

Rick

Latest resources

Back