Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

stevehermosa

RVF Newbee
I've heard about, ive seen, so now I'm doing it!
My only question is how do other people keep their pipes from freezing if they plan on staying mobile all year long? In other words, I don't plan on skirting I don't plan on winterizing, but I don't plan on leaving my trailer unattended for more than 3 days.
Any suggestions?

Imposible to say without knowing the particulars of how your trailer is setup and insulated/heated.

For example, I've no concerns with my Newmar Ventana motorhome as all bays and pipe chases are heated by the same heating system for the living space.

If you have sewer or fresh water connections exposed, you are going to have to take preventative measures. My neighbor lived in a travel trailer for 2 years while his new house was being built (total loss fire) and he skirted and put small heaters under to cover for insulation deficiencies of the floor etc. Only strung hose to refill the fresh water tank when needed and never left that out to freeze.

If your trailer is not designed for "arctic use" you are going to have to compensate with portable heaters, insulation/skirting etc.

I've heard about, ive seen, so now I'm doing it!
My only question is how do other people keep their pipes from freezing if they plan on staying mobile all year long? In other words, I don't plan on skirting I don't plan on winterizing, but I don't plan on leaving my trailer unattended for more than 3 days.
Any suggestions?
Other than heading south for the winter (we do except for COVID). We were stuck in Western Canada during the winters of COVID. We have a Motorhome but our situation should not be too different than for your trailer. Our wet bay is heated but only when the propane furnace would run. Moving the coach to refill the propane was a pain so we relied mostly on electric heaters. We placed a "thermostatically" controlled electric heater in the wet bay set at about 5 degrees above freezing. You can buy insulation pads that will fit snuggly into your roof vents to preserve as much heat loss as possible. Our coach came with a winter package so we had double glazed windows. You can buy plastic covers that will provide some insulation or you can opt to cover your windows with Styrofoam insulation and be in the dark. Windows are your biggest heat loss areas.

As stated by jaydee325 any exposed plumbing will have to be protected. If your sewer dump plumbing is exposed you can add heat tape and insulate in such a way that you can easily access the valves to dump. Don't forget that you have a vent for filling your fresh water tank as well as vents for your grey and black tanks. Make sure they are protected as well cause if they freezes you will have a heck of a time filling your fresh and dumping your sewer tanks. Again, as suggested, do not leave your fresh water fill hose attached.

Okay, that's the plumbing and stay warm part. You are going to find that the humidity level inside your unit is going to skyrocket. This could allow mould to take over. A dehumidifier will help and using your range exhaust fan and cracking a window when cooking will help.

Good luck. Stay warm and stay safe.

I have been told that if you are camping when it is below 70 degrees you are doing it wrong....not sure about that. 70 is a little high. But degrees matter and the length of time it is at certain temps is important. Very hard to gauge and always err on the side of to much heat and insulation. Having been born and raised in Maine, I got an early and extensive education on "winterizing" trailers and old homes. If you can make something(a space) fairly airtight it is easy to keep it above freezing. Drafts(air leaks) will freeze a space very rapidly.

Latest resources

Back