Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DrunknIrish

RVF Newbee
I'm trying to get an idea of mileage and age norms for RV's, particularly Class A.

When I go to buy a used car ideally 60K and under is what your looking for, 60 - 100K is OK, and 100K and over you need to be wary of. Similarly under 7 years is ideal, 8 - 15 is OK, and over 15 you need to be wary. Also mileage per year is a factor; a car with 50k but only 2 years old has been rode hard and hung up wet. A car with 120k miles but is 16 years old might be a good buy because it hasn't been used very frequently.

How many miles do full time RV's usually put on per year as opposed to part time vacation RV's. How much does age affect RV's?

Just trying to get an idea as I'm scrolling through lists of used Class A RV's what I should be looking for what to avoid.

That’s an “old school” way of thinking.Older, carbureted engines ran like crap most of the time unless the owner was a good mechanic that tuned his car on a regular basis. None of us did…
The newer computer controlled engines always have the perfect air/fuel/timing ratio and run much better, much cleaner and that leads to less wear. Having brought that up, most RVs spend a fair amount of time on the road, running at optimum temperature, not overheating in traffic.
Mileage is also pretty low for most rigs when compared to cars.
Avoid carburetors and you’ll probably be fine.

Full time rvers, hummm! There RV Has more house wear than the occasional user, figure you can figure that out.
But the full timer will tread lighter because they don't live with the same schedule. When it is your home you don't want it in the shop because you have a deadline, so you take it easy. Your mileage may vary!!!

Latest resources

Back