Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
360 Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited, Blue Ox, Demco Air Force One
Fulltimer
No
Our 2017 Ventana 3709 bedroom slideout will not retract. It moves in about 2" then sound like the motor is under too much strain to continue. If you press extend, it moves back out 2".

Help!!!

Laurent

two things come to mind, okay 3:

1) Call Newmar
2) Turn off the salesman switch (12V power) for a minute then turn it back on. Alternatively you can find the bedroom slide controller in the bay forward of the pegboard (typically) and unplug the connectors, wait a few, plug them back in.
3) Empty everything from under the bed, I think right side (on mine) is where the motor is accessed below the bed floor board and make sure nothing is blocking the function of the slide motor.

Neal about covered it.

Keep us posted!!

Our 2017 Ventana 3709 bedroom slideout will not retract. It moves in about 2" then sound like the motor is under too much strain to continue. If you press extend, it moves back out 2".

Help!!!

Laurent
Try assisting it in mechanically (manually) to get past the point where its binding. It may run in on its own after that point. I can also see Neil’s point about something under the bed blocking the mechanism and you’ll have to expose it to move it manually anyway. I had one with a broken gear tooth and it wouldn’t make it past that spot without manual assistance. But your problem sounds more like binding or a weak motor or possibly a bad controller.

If your door side slide controllers are the same model and are next to each other, you can rule out the controller by unplugging both and plugging the bedroom controller plugs into the forward slide controller to see if it will bring the bedroom slide in. The door side slides on a 3709 are similar in size so they probably ise the same controller. I had a bad controller on my 2016 and Newmar replaced it with an “upgraded” model (Klauber KMG 1209).

These are my door-side controllers, both the same model and right next to each other so you can see that plugging the bedroom slide plugs into the forward controller for testing would be simple. They are both LMC30 Revision B controllers, likely the same as yours.
0C172450-1AC7-4D16-BECD-C4C3295B92F8.jpeg
There were a lot of controller problems for 2016-2018. The 2016 and 17 problems were often solved by simply adjusting the amperage on the controller upwards. The replacement for my bad controller was a KMG 1209 - completely different unit but the plugs were identical so replacement was easy.
2349F473-D7D4-469F-9D16-1924419FB9DF.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you all for your quick response to my bedroom slide problem. I went on Newgle and found instructions to a few things to check as well as what to do to manually to bring in the slide.

I opted to unplug the 12V black and red wire connector from the controller. I was going to try and apply a 12V battery to the leads on the connector as suggested but I just plugged the connector back in, tried it and the slide came back in.

As Rich suggested, I will investigate the motor to be sure there's nothing impeding its operation and, I will find and replace the old controller with the newer one.

Again, thank you all for your help.

Laurent

Is this a good slide controller replacement?
1691766739197.png
1691766739197.png
oks like it has the same female plugs.

I'd monitor it. Electronics do not like to be on for years as our motorhome's run electronics. A power cycle may have fixed it.

I agree with Niel - now that its working again it may continue to work for years. And also I agree that it would be smart to inspect the mechanism, check the mounting bolts, and verify the manual-retract method. It wouldn’t hurt to have a spare controller though. I think the cost for the replacement controller was around $100 from Newmar but that was a couple years ago. Probably 50% more now.

Personally I wouldn’t experiment with other third party controllers such as the Intellitec unit from Integrity RV parts without some reliable reviews unless its also the one Newmar is currently using. That said, it may be a better unit but some research would be in order.

Here are a couple of the Intellitec units “Integrity” sells for $187 on ebay for $60 less and free shipping:
And this is the unit on the Intellitec website:
The KMG controller that Newmar sold me as a replacement for the failing LMC unit is from the same company (Klauber Machine and Gear) that makes the slide drive unit (gear motor).

Edit: Newmar now sells the KMG controller I bought for $99 in 2021 for $215. Everyone is on the inflation bandwagon these days…:mad:. A little research also found that Newmar used to use the Intellitec unit and they have discontinued that practice using the LMC controller for a few years and now the KMG unit. I also found in a brief search that people had issues with the Intellitec units 8-10 years ago.

Last edited:
Great information from the RV Forum as usual.

Thank you!

Laurent

Latest resources

Back