• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Very disappointed in dog owners

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I am extremely disappointed and disturbed as to what I'm seeing at campgrounds lately. I've been traveling quite a bit the past 6 weeks and I'm seeing dog poo everywhere! People are NOT picking up after their dogs and as a dog owner myself I'm concerned that campgrounds may change their rules. I had a campground I just left that had very strict guidance on dogs in that we could only take them to a small area which was not close to my campsite so I actually left a day early. Ironically on the vacant campsite next to me, left side, is a picnic table in a gravel bed. All around that table area in the gravel was dog poo. I'm at a KOA now and as I walk Elli I'm seeing dog poo everywhere. Bad on the campground for not cleaning this up? Maybe. Horrendous that dog owners are not picking up their pet's poo.

People, stop this! Have some respect for others and the campground. Pick up after your pets! Please!

I am extremely disappointed and disturbed as to what I'm seeing at campgrounds lately. I've been traveling quite a bit the past 6 weeks and I'm seeing dog poo everywhere! People are NOT picking up after their dogs and as a dog owner myself I'm concerned that campgrounds may change their rules. I had a campground I just left that had very strict guidance on dogs in that we could only take them to a small area which was not close to my campsite so I actually left a day early. Ironically on the vacant campsite next to me, left side, is a picnic table in a gravel bed. All around that table area in the gravel was dog poo. I'm at a KOA now and as I walk Elli I'm seeing dog poo everywhere. Bad on the campground for not cleaning this up? Maybe. Horrendous that dog owners are not picking up their pet's poo.

People, stop this! Have some respect for others and the campground. Pick up after your pets! Please!
Good topic and one that troubles me as well. A few months ago I signed up for an annual lease on a spot at a new RV park which would have afforded me an in-state weekend getaway at my leisure whenever the chance presented itself. Being a conscientious pet owner who always picks up the poo and respects leash laws I was happy to read in their rules and regulations that they strictly enforced their pet rules including no tie up at the RV, always on a leash when walking around the property, and pick up after your pet (waste stations provided). My first outings were pretty good and I noticed not many pet owners so no issues however as more folks signed on to the full year agreement and were staying planted on their spot I noticed more and more dogs, especially larger breeds. Initially as these folks settled in it would seem that they respected the rules but after a couple more trips I saw that they were not following through on their responsibilities. One particular day I saw a pile on the ground within a couple of feet of a poo station. Next I toured around the park and counted several dogs tied up to units with no owner to be seen. After also noticing some free ranging pets that did it for me. Straight to management to complain and of course they responded like they cared but on the next couple of trips nothing changed. Anyway based on this pet experience in the park I pulled out of my agreement because I felt that if the management had let it go this far they would never be on top of their own rules and regulations and my future outings would end up being miserable. Last week I was at an upscale RV Park where folks own their space and they have strict pet rules. One of the rules is the pet must be on a leash. Well what do you know I pull in to get set-up and as I was dropping my ramp door on the toy hauler with my wife standing there with our leashed pet here comes two dogs charging after mine. One got pinched under the ramp door and squealed. The owner comes over casually and says " we usually keep them leashed, is he hurt"? My response was "I take no responsibility if he is hurt sir as I did not see him and he should have been under your control anyway". You should have seen the look his wife gave me. Oh well!

The lack of respect of the pet rules is a pet peeve, so I am trying to refrain from getting started… A few selfish, entitled, narcissistic bad apples are going to ruin the ability to have pets for everyone else… ?

The lack of respect of the pet rules is a pet peeve, so I am trying to refrain from getting started… A few selfish, entitled, narcissistic bad apples are going to ruin the ability to have pets for everyone else… ?
It's not just pet rules, some people don't respect campgrounds possibly as they will never return to the location again and don't care about what they leave behind. I think it's important for fellow campers to police one another even if done privately reporting someone to the office as I had to do in Meridian, ID at a KOA which was grossly abused.

Agree with you Neal, but think it goes past just disrespect for the CG. Many people have become so self-absorbed and selfish, they don't care about their impact on others. It has also become dangerous to confront people directly as well, because these same people can't have a rational conversation or admit error. We have all seen innocent attempts to intervene degenerate into violent confrontations.

We have abandoned any of our old spontaneous ways to become detailed planners to prevent putting ourselves into potentially dangerous situations. Even with good CG planning and selection there is still the odd negative events. Just have to accept some defect rate in everything.

On a recent trip, with 6 other coaches, we used a popular CG. Pull throughs were tight, and hook ups were in close proximity of our dining/ cooking/ sitting pad area. We had some folks cancel last minuet, so some of the spots in between our coaches went to transients throughout the week. We had plenty of opportunity to observe people setting up, and tried not to interfere although we were asked several times for help (many rental coaches). Last transient was a couple our age (60+). They were having issues with sewer tie in. They asked for help, but didn't really want input. It was clear they would have containment issues if used as installed. We offered to lend them a weighted cover to help hold their system in place, but they refused. Sure enough, when they dumped, it came lose and sprayed our pad. I had preemptively stowed our kit but they made a pretty good mess. Then they broke down and headed out, no attempt to remedy.

I had coach washed next day, and detailer was nice to power wash the impacted area for us.

Can't fix stupid, but you can duct tape it so you don't have to listen.

I can’t imagine. We pick up ALL of CC’s poo, even in our own yard. ESPECIALLY in our yard, and it’s large.

Last edited:
Agree with you Neal, but think it goes past just disrespect for the CG. Many people have become so self-absorbed and selfish, they don't care about their impact on others. It has also become dangerous to confront people directly as well, because these same people can't have a rational conversation or admit error. We have all seen innocent attempts to intervene degenerate into violent confrontations.

We have abandoned any of our old spontaneous ways to become detailed planners to prevent putting ourselves into potentially dangerous situations. Even with good CG planning and selection there is still the odd negative events. Just have to accept some defect rate in everything.

On a recent trip, with 6 other coaches, we used a popular CG. Pull throughs were tight, and hook ups were in close proximity of our dining/ cooking/ sitting pad area. We had some folks cancel last minuet, so some of the spots in between our coaches went to transients throughout the week. We had plenty of opportunity to observe people setting up, and tried not to interfere although we were asked several times for help (many rental coaches). Last transient was a couple our age (60+). They were having issues with sewer tie in. They asked for help, but didn't really want input. It was clear they would have containment issues if used as installed. We offered to lend them a weighted cover to help hold their system in place, but they refused. Sure enough, when they dumped, it came lose and sprayed our pad. I had preemptively stowed our kit but they made a pretty good mess. Then they broke down and headed out, no attempt to remedy.

I had coach washed next day, and detailer was nice to power wash the impacted area for us.

Can't fix stupid, but you can duct tape it so you don't have to listen.
Love your italicized quote - duct tape fixes anything!

When our standard schnauzer takes a 'dump' she is trained to do it into the bag. Other campers are always fascinated.
Many RV parks we have stayed at assess a $25.00 - $50.00 fine if you do not pick up after your pet or keep them on a leash. We would have no hesitation in asking an offender to comply with the park rules, or, report them to park management if they did not.
From my perspective, not picking up after your dog is the same as not changing a 'crappy' diaper on a baby. Responsible pet ownership comes with some responsibilities to the pet & others around you. If you are not prepared to accept those responsibilities, perhaps you should give serious consideration to not owning a pet.
Wow, how did you train her to do that? My little poodle is smart - she readily pees on command, and poops on command, but she has to search around for the right spot before pooping.

FB_IMG_1626495321337.jpg

Latest resources

Back