Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
The stock power cable is getting hot. Well, not actually the cable, but the metal plugs that would plug into the 50 pedestal.

My Bullydog is plugged into the pedestal and the coach 50 cable is plugged into the Bullydog. Bullydog plugin is cool but the 50 coach cable plugin is hot. I'm assuming a poor connection somewhere, but where do I start looking?

Sounds like a short to generate that kind of heat.

1st thing I would do is try another shore cable. If that heats up, 2nd is try a different pedestal. Still heating up, try it without the Bulldog. Now we have eliminated external devices.

Still have a problem, sorry to say it's the coach.

Sounds like a short to generate that kind of heat.

1st thing I would do is try another shore cable. If that heats up, 2nd is try a different pedestal. Still heating up, try it without the Bulldog. Now we have eliminated external devices.

Still have a problem, sorry to say it's the coach.

Yeah, it's the coach.

Coach cable, I just replaced the plug on my 09 King Aire as I found a bunch of hair line cracks in the molded plug around the hot legs this week. On second read, it's possible it's the socket side of the Bulldog, but if that is the case the socket would also be hot. If no then the coach cable.

Might be worthwhile to use an infrared thermometer. Point it at anything electrical to see if the temp is above ambient.

Converter, wiring near slides, any connection where an appliance is drawing current are good starting points.

Coach cable, I just replaced the plug on my 09 King Aire as I found a bunch of hair line cracks in the molded plug around the hot legs this week. On second read, it's possible it's the socket side of the Bulldog, but if that is the case the socket would also be hot. If no then the coach cable.
Yes, replace the cord Cap with a quality one. It could be the contacts on the receptical. An infrared camera will isolate the problem.

I had moved the coach from one site to another and the problem remained. As we're getting ready to open the park, I had to move the coach up to our permanent site. I had plugged it in and the air was running. I got busy and it wasn't until about 3:00 this AM that I woke up and remembered I had not unplugged the coach. So I drove down to the park and checked the connection. It was warm, but not hot. The Bullydog plugin was cold.

I'll pull the wire off the reel and figure out where it plugs into the coach. I assume it's going to be the inverter? I'm wondering if that connection might be where the resistance is coming from.

No.....the loose connection is where the heat is. If it's a molded plug at the end of the cable, get it replaced with a quality piece, like Mr. Penn said. (Although it wouldn't harm anything to look at the connections IN the RV, either.) The heat is generated right where the poor connections are, whether it's a terminal screw that has loosened, or a poor factory crimp when the cable was made. Get it done soon, before the heat conducts over to the socket on your Bullydog.
Now, if it were the spring-loaded socket blade receptacles, those would also be heating up, right with the blades on your cord plug, so I strongly suspect it's a poor crimp in a molded plug.

Roger

The contractors on the cord reel are known to be an issue might want to check there for signs of arcing

Latest resources

Back