Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What's wrong with this picture?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Several of the marine dealers we work with pay an additional commission to service people for billable hours. You turn in the billed hours and you get paid. Very simple concept and helps them keep good mechanics. Not sure if that has made it to RV dealers or not. Remember though, by the time you add health insurance, overtime ($25 at time & half is $37.50), workers comp and paid vacation, those numbers are not that bad FOR STARTING PAY. Also remember, the dealer is responsible for employee training costs, tools, facility insurance, heat, unemployment insurance, inventory costs and every other expense of running the business.
Ken

I realize, we all realize, entry level pay. We all know there is a problem in getting RV Techs. If you don't make jobs attractive you won't get the people. This is why tech companies have huge starting salaries, they want to find and hire the best, they learned this lesson. Sure, they could get a computer science major out of college and pay them 40-60K but they want to find talent. If the RV industry is going to solve the manpower problem then jobs have to be more attractive otherwise they'll sit home, eat bon bons and get paid by the government instead.

Yup, exploiting the young for profit. I never saw any marketing when I was a kid that sought out high school kids to work fast food. It was and still is a sham for a reason to pay poor salaries for good profits. Mcdonalds was in the news in the past couple days for record profits.
I never felt exploited when I worked fast food at 15 years old. I purchased my vehicles and had spending money. Would you rather our youth sit at home and play games? Do you complain now that this younger generation lacks the ambition to make a productive life for themselves? My 3 kids started working fast food and other menial jobs at 15 and learned nothing in life is free. Most of us had to start at the bottom and work up. As said before most now want to start at the top.

View attachment 10344

This is the picture that made my head spin. This is a new Newell under construction. This area is hidden by a large TV once done and is above the driver.

Look at how many ac outlets are there just for Ac to DC conversion.

I understand that there are a lot of components, and lots of demand. I also understand that it's a lot more organized than some areas of newmar.

What I don't understand is why aren't they using a power bus for DC off the 12v bank, and organized based on demand.

How do they expect the wall warts to behave when bouncing on America's highways?

Why does a $1M + coach have audio cables running parallel with AC power lines? Sure they can add a noise filter later, but why not eliminate the problem.

All of these questions are answered by post #1.
I don't know about isolating audio cables, and if everything is right etc, etc., but actually looks like a pretty clean installation to me.

I don't know about isolating audio cables, and if everything is right etc, etc., but actually looks like a pretty clean installation to me.

I think the number of wall warts is really an issue for me. A DC power rail would eliminate all of them, and eliminate electrical noise too.

I know it will be hidden, and I know there is a blueprint. That blueprint is priceless....wish Newmar did it.

I never felt exploited when I worked fast food at 15 years old. I purchased my vehicles and had spending money. Would you rather our youth sit at home and play games? Do you complain now that this younger generation lacks the ambition to make a productive life for themselves? My 3 kids started working fast food and other menial jobs at 15 and learned nothing in life is free. Most of us had to start at the bottom and work up. As said before most now want to start at the top.
Most kids are happy(?) to have a job when they are 15 years old and don't understand exploitation. My kids worked fast food too and earned money but you missed the point which is McDonalds has record profits yet pays people $11/hr to start. We could argue that $11 is not bad to start but I can tell you $11 doesn't go far if the person is 1) not a teenager, 2) has a family and 3) trying to make ends meet on $11/hr. That is the person that will work two or 3 jobs to make ends meet. Heck there is a 70+ year old fella working the window at the McDonalds near us. I'm sure he is just happy to be making some extra income.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back