Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What's wrong with this picture?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
These pay rates are insulting for a company with these revenues.
But are they? Have you been to Coburg, OR? It’s not a giant metropolis that’s expensive to live in and we all know companies pay based on the local market. Most of the people I have met at Marathon have been there 20+ years. Like any other company in America, they want to grow and they need to hire so they offer what they consider to be a fair wage in the marketplace. I have also been told getting a tech up to certain standard takes two years minimum. I am sure if any company gets an applicant that is exceptional they will pay a solid competitive wage that is probably at the top tier or higher for those skills.

I know everyone always says, "It's different". But is it really? We always paid our techs 40 to 45 % of what ever the labor rate was in a new car dealership.

I live in California and your lucky to find a service dealership that will charge under $100.00 per hr. There is no way I would let a service tech work on my vehicle for $25.00 per hr. With 2 years of experience. Inside or out!

I live in California and your lucky to find a service dealership that will charge under $100.00 per hr. There is no way I would let a service tech work on my vehicle for $25.00 per hr. With 2 years of experience. Inside or out!
Took my DP into camping world for warranty work and pretty much had to fix everything they touched. Will never go there again.

But are they? Have you been to Coburg, OR? It’s not a giant metropolis that’s expensive to live in and we all know companies pay based on the local market. Most of the people I have met at Marathon have been there 20+ years. Like any other company in America, they want to grow and they need to hire so they offer what they consider to be a fair wage in the marketplace. I have also been told getting a tech up to certain standard takes two years minimum. I am sure if any company gets an applicant that is exceptional they will pay a solid competitive wage that is probably at the top tier or higher for those skills.

The annual average wage for all occupations in Oregon was $58,443 in 2021, or $28.10 per hour. Of the occupations with published data, gambling dealers had the lowest average wage of $13.14 per hour.

$25/hour works out to $52,000/year, pretty close to the annual average of Oregon. Add in a benefit package and who knows what the total pay package is. I’ve spent a fair amount of time in the Coburg area where Marathon is based and it is certainly not a high income area. I would bet that the Marathon workers that have a bit of time, experience & expertise with the company do reasonably well.
Remember, those of us that are lucky enough to own these Newmars, Marathons, Tiffins, etc. are some of the fortunate few that have relatively high income levels. Sometimes it’s a bit hard to relate……

Okay, but Marathon coaches sell for millions of dollars. Each and every one. I’d bet their service rates are above average as well.

150/hr. Cheaper than a few places I have been to.

Okay, but Marathon coaches sell for millions of dollars. Each and every one. I’d bet their service rates are above average as well.
And it takes hundreds if not thousands of hours to build the Prevost and the Marathon conversion giving work to many, many individuals. If a company doesn’t make a profit it will not be in business long. If the business is gone the loss of jobs follow.

$2.5MM for a 2022 coach.

So guy doing the work makes $25/hour. On a service bill, he/she bets the company $125/hour, minus overhead.

The point I am making is, they can easily afford to pay more and a premium coach builder shouldn’t have a labor shortage problem because of that. It’s an easy fix - pay more and poach the seasoned guys from other manufacturers. After all, they’re building a premium product, using premium parts and charging a premium price, so reason bears that premium workers should be putting it together.

$25/hour is not a bad wage. Far from premium.

Gaffney for FL service is $149/hr? Can't confirm. Newmar: $140/hr (Jan 1 - Mar 31 they offer a winter rate at $115/hr)

Not that good at math but it seems like we are missing about $100.00 hour.
Companies usually pay about 10% of what each employee brings in. $25 / hr with no experience, no college degree? That is a starting salary of $50,000/yr. People today don’t seem to understand starting pay ishoukd not be final pay. Hopefully, pay will increase with experience.

Latest resources

Back