Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Why can't RV builders figure out the small trailer market?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Newbie syndrome. I get it.

But since I no longer own an RV, it seems to me that my most important contribution would be to explain to the people who sell them, why I can't find one to own. Is that crazy?

I sort of expected a few other folks to at least get my point. Unless you are in the market for a camper designed to visit the wilderness while avoiding actual camping, my requirements seem pretty normal and mainstream. The lack of product, seems baffling. I sort of thought at least one guy might go, "Gee, come to think of it, why doesn't everyone prefer free storage over a foot of headroom?". Instead, what I got was a lot of people who have invested ridiculous sums of money into much larger rigs, complaining that I'm just a complainer.

Well, can't say I'm surprised. It's not like I'm new to the human race. But since you value my opinions so much, I'll try to be more helpful in some other threads where I mistakenly assumed that my opinions would be even less welcome.

I don't know why you can't understand why a trailer manufacturer would not build a trailer that only you want.
They're not going to build a one-of-a kind trailer just for you.
You'll just have to build it yourself so you can get exactly what you want. A camper designed not for camping. :unsure:

Showering is optional -- you can use the one in the campground.

I can't. Unless I want to drag my shower chair with me, and then there is still the issue that most don't have handheld showers. We are 60 and 61, and bought one of those trailers you are talking about. In fact, the first one we put a deposit on didn't have a dinette, just a couch. We decided to get one that had a dinette and a Murphy bed that becomes a couch because that gave us more seating options. It's just the two of us. OK, we did take the cat on a recent 4 night trip. I'm not sure how often he will go, he is sick and we may not have him much longer so hate to leave him home alone. I tend to sit on the couch and hubby uses the dinette as he has hobbies that need a table surface. We got a Flagstaff Epro E19FDS

We would rather sit outside around a firepit than inside watching TV. We like camping. Part of me would still do tents if I could. But I've gotten to the age and physical condition where that's ain't happening. I want a bed and bathroom close by.

We needed a smaller/lighter trailer our SUV could pull. Granted, we've only done three trips but so far really like the trailer.

All of this to say that we all have different things we want, even if we are in the similar demographic groups.

Any small RV COULD fit into a standard garage if anyone cared to make one.
A vehicle fits in a garage because you sit down in it. If you had an RV that fit in a garage, you wouldn't be able to stand up in it, which I assume you'd also complain about.

I think he wants a short trailer where he cannot stand up. He made it clear that he values the ability to store in the garage as more important than being able to stand up without bumping his head.

Hey wait, my Toyota Highlander does that. Come to think of it. So did my 1994 Geo Metro. Not that I had a garage when I had that, but I certainly spent my share of nights sleeping in it.

I can't. Unless I want to drag my shower chair with me, and then there is still the issue that most don't have handheld showers. We are 60 and 61, and bought one of those trailers you are talking about. In fact, the first one we put a deposit on didn't have a dinette, just a couch. We decided to get one that had a dinette and a Murphy bed that becomes a couch because that gave us more seating options. It's just the two of us. OK, we did take the cat on a recent 4 night trip. I'm not sure how often he will go, he is sick and we may not have him much longer so hate to leave him home alone. I tend to sit on the couch and hubby uses the dinette as he has hobbies that need a table surface. We got a Flagstaff Epro E19FDS

We would rather sit outside around a firepit than inside watching TV. We like camping. Part of me would still do tents if I could. But I've gotten to the age and physical condition where that's ain't happening. I want a bed and bathroom close by.

We needed a smaller/lighter trailer our SUV could pull. Granted, we've only done three trips but so far really like the trailer.

All of this to say that we all have different things we want, even if we are in the similar demographic groups.
Excellent! Finally, someone actually read my list and offers an alternative instead of insults!

In fact, I looked carefully at the almost the same unit -- Flagstaff E-Pro E19FD. Yes, having owned an RV for 10 years, I do find the dinette a waste of space -- I'd rather have a closet. But at least the Murphy offers a place to sit. There are a number of trailers in that size with a Murphy bed. Parking it my garage isn't my #1 requirement. It's not actually a small trailer, but maybe it would work. Just one question.

Your rig weighs over 4500 lbs loaded, with a hitch weight over 450 pounds. How on earth are you pulling that with an SUV?

I think he wants a short trailer where he cannot stand up. He made it clear that he values the ability to store in the garage as more important than being able to stand up without bumping his head.
No, I just want a comfortable trailer that my SUV can tow. Fitting it in the garage is way down on the list, but I don't understand why I can't have that, too.

If you look at the drawing I posted, you will see a trailer that fits in a garage and has a 6' ceiling. Like 99% of the rest of America, I can stand up under a 6' ceiling. I wouldn't even care it it touched my head, if it saved me $1,000/year in storage costs. Why is a foot of unused headroom worth $1,000/year to you?

I don't know why you can't understand why a trailer manufacturer would not build a trailer that only you want.
They're not going to build a one-of-a kind trailer just for you.
You'll just have to build it yourself so you can get exactly what you want. A camper designed not for camping. :unsure:
I don't know why you can't understand that my requirements are every man's requirements. Which of my requirements do you NOT want?

You DON'T want a comfortable chair? You DON'T want a comfortable bed? You LIKE sitting on a 3" cushion with your knees knocking your wife's, to eat, watch TV, and maybe even sleep? You hate closets and chests of drawers? You don't think you need TPMS, brakes, or back-up camera? You ENJOY getting 10mpg from your tow vehicle even when you're not towing it, and you love parking it outdoors because it wont fit in your garage? And you'd never, ever want your RV to fit in your garage, because a foot of unused headroom is worth far more to you than the $1000/year in storage costs you pay for that 8' ceiling!

Sorry. If that's your answer, I think you're the one with the weird requirement list. To each their own. I just don't understand why your weird list is the one every single manufacturer wants to build.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back