Chassis
N/A
Engine
N/A
TOW/TOAD
8,200 Lbs
Fulltimer
No
I was recently told by the service department that is doing my warranty work on my new bay star that they stopped selling the TPMS (Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems) because it was causing the tire stems were to leak. I think I have rubber stems and was told to switch to mental. Anyone have any answers to this or opinions. I just bought the TPMS from Amazon and will send it back if its going to be a problem.

Thanks for your response.

I would not use flow through TPMS sensors as they are heavier, I had problems with them on tire valve extensions which are metal. I agree that rubber valve stems could be an issue but you could try something like the TST non flow through and see how they work for you.

I was recently told by the service department that is doing my warranty work on my new bay star that they stopped selling the TPMS (Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems) because it was causing the tire stems were to leak. I think I have rubber stems and was told to switch to mental. Anyone have any answers to this or opinions. I just bought the TPMS from Amazon and will send it back if its going to be a problem.

Thanks for your response.
First off, let me just say that I would not travel down the road in a loaded RV without having a working TPMS. IMHO it is the number 1 piece of safety equipment and should be required.

I have used a TST branded system for over 10 years, both flow-thru sensors and the smaller style button style. Right now I have enough small button style (6) so I don't have to use any of my larger flow-thru. I have had a rubber valve stem fail with a flow-thru attached to it, however it was a cheap rubber stem and not the heavy duty type that is more common.

I would suspect on a rig your size you have some pretty good heavy rubber valve stems and the button style sensors would work great.

Thanks Joe, I think I will stay the course.

I have used the TST sensors for almost 15 years with no problems. This includes on my tow vehicles that all had rubber valve stems. The key to me is using only the non flow through button sensors. I also remove the theft caps from the button sensors making them really quite small and easy to remove to add air when needed. Never had a theft problem and have never heard of others with a theft problem.

I have used the TST sensors for almost 15 years with no problems. This includes on my tow vehicles that all had rubber valve stems. The key to me is using only the non flow through button sensors. I also remove the theft caps from the button sensors making them really quite small and easy to remove to add air when needed. Never had a theft problem and have never heard of others with a theft problem.
Thanks for that info, @J&JD; we are in the midst of setting up LadyDi’s 2020 Lincoln Nautilus for towing. The Roadmaster baseplate, Nighthawk towbar and Demco AF-1 braking system have all been installed and checked out. The last thing to do is to get the EezTire TPMS system to function with the Nautilus. We used metal valve stems on the 2014 Honda CR-V but can’t change out the valve stems on the Nautilus because the rubber ones are integrated into the OEM TPMS sensors. Glad to know that you haven’t had issues using the non-flow-through sensors on rubber valve stems. Like you, we use the non-flow-through sensors with the “anti-theft” cover removed.

TJ

Thanks Guys for your insights. I think I will stay the course and perhaps leave the non locking piece off the stem. MH is in the shop for warranty work and I can't remember if it has mental of rubber stems. Either way I think I am good. Worst case is if someone steals them I can replace it.

Worst case is if someone steals them I can replace it.
If someone wants to steal the sensors, the “anti-theft” cap certainly won’t stop them. A pair of pliers will squeeze the anti-theft cap against the sensor and allow it to be unscrewed. And, that’s the best-case scenario; having the valve stems cut off is far worse.

TJ

I Probably should not be parking in those places, right?

I would get the metal valve stems and continue using the TPMS.

Latest resources

Back