• Commercial/Vendors welcome

YouTube vs anything else

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
No. I do not use OTA much, but rig came with antenna and connections right from factory. Just select antenna from input source on TV and I’m good to go.

We stream as well. We have firebox with several TV apps we like. Free ones like FreeVee. We also use SlingTv which is like YoutubeTv but a bit cheaper. It can also be used free, but you won’t get everything.

A few years ago we had a Tiffin Allegro Bus that had the satellite tv system. Now with YouTube carrying most of the tv channels is anyone finding it easier to just have a wifi connection to get your shows now ?
We have been streaming through T-Mobil using ROKU and subscribe to YouTube TV, Philo, Amazon, and use free Pluto and ROKU channel. We have had very little issues

OK, I'll readily admit that I am "technology challenged", as they say, plus being an old "Boomer"!
So, I have a few questions about this new fangled thing called "streaming"!
I guess it is about costs. Example, DISH may cost about $120/month when traveling, and ATT U-Verse, at home is about $60-$70/mo for Internet, and about $120/mo for all the TV channels.
There are MANY "streaming" choices, but they each have their own specialties, it appears.
So, to be comparable, and receive most all the NFL games, MLB games, GOLF, NASCAR races, college football/basketball, ESPN, TCM, ME TV, Hallmark, Fox Nation, ETC, and LOCAL NETWORK channels; what or how many different STREAMING apps/channels/subscriptions, or whatever you call them, would one need?
Any idea as to total cost per month for ALL the Streaming? Seems to me, it would cost $400-$500 per month, plus $60-$70, or more for Internet!!
EDUCATE ME!:unsure: THANKS:)

Jabber Jaw, I’m in your group as a senior boomer and not in tune with all this technology. I decided after 30+ years with DTV to try the streaming. This past summer we tripped to Canada for 4 months. Prior to leaving I had Best Buy come out and change out all my TVs to smart one and setup everything. Just before leaving I signed up for YouTube Tv and DTV streaming. (DTV streaming is free if you have home satellite service.) To be sure I gave streaming a far shot I left my DTV receivers at home. It was a challenge for the first month or so, but we made it. I figure out that YouTube Tv has 99% of what we watched on DTV. I called DTV to cancel my home service after we got home and they offered it to me for the same cost as streaming which was a nice discount so I’ve kept it for a few more months after returning home. I have since canceled my home service and the DTV streaming. I strictly use Youtube TV. So far I still haven’t missed any NFL, MLB, college football, Nascar or other items you mentioned. I get my local channels and I got them while in Canada. Only once did YouTube Tv ask about my location and I responded that I was traveling. The only NFL playoff game missed so far was the Chiefs/Miami game which was on another streaming service that I do not have. Yes it’s different and you need a good internet service at home and while traveling. StarLink was my choice.

Jabber Jaw, I’m in your group as a senior boomer and not in tune with all this technology. I decided after 30+ years with DTV to try the streaming. This past summer we tripped to Canada for 4 months. Prior to leaving I had Best Buy come out and change out all my TVs to smart one and setup everything. Just before leaving I signed up for YouTube Tv and DTV streaming. (DTV streaming is free if you have home satellite service.) To be sure I gave streaming a far shot I left my DTV receivers at home. It was a challenge for the first month or so, but we made it. I figure out that YouTube Tv has 99% of what we watched on DTV. I called DTV to cancel my home service after we got home and they offered it to me for the same cost as streaming which was a nice discount so I’ve kept it for a few more months after returning home. I have since canceled my home service and the DTV streaming. I strictly use Youtube TV. So far I still haven’t missed any NFL, MLB, college football, Nascar or other items you mentioned. I get my local channels and I got them while in Canada. Only once did YouTube Tv ask about my location and I responded that I was traveling. The only NFL playoff game missed so far was the Chiefs/Miami game which was on another streaming service that I do not have. Yes it’s different and you need a good internet service at home and while traveling. StarLink was my choice.
We had multiple issues when we bought our first motor coach trying to use what it came with. We would get home and I would take it to my local rv place to get some repairs made and each time they got the TV’s to work correctly. We would go back out on the road and it wouldn’t work. So we wanted to go with YouTube since the majority of TV’s now are smart TV’s. My concern is what device do we need to purchase to get the best wifi for the coach ?

I use a firestick that I bought during a Black Friday sale one year, a dedicated cellphone for a hotspot (Visible $30/mo) and a travel router (because you can only hook one thing directly to the cellphone). The firestick, laptops and home security camera system connect to the router.

I have Amazon Prime (because I had Amazon Prime). Amazon has lots of apps that are free to download but many have a cost to watch. I watch mostly:
Amazon Prime Video (Amazon App)
Britbox (Amazon App)
Netflix (Amazon App single TV)
Freevee (Amazon App)
Rumble (Amazon App)
YouTube (Amazon App)
Amazon Music (Amazon App)
Pandora Music (Amazon App)

I have many other channel apps but I have found that I do not watch them. Although I would like to get Acorn just so I can see the other half of the series that I watch on Britbox.

I also buy lots of physical movies (once they drop in price to about $5 or lower from Redbox or Walmart) and I buy up the sequels and TV series because we tend to binge watch. Our local cellphone antennas have a nasty tendency of not working when it's too cold, too rainy, too hot or too windy (and it's always windy). So we watch one of the 350 or so movies/series that I have. I keep them in DVD/CD sheet protectors (8 per sheet) to save space and I use Ant Movie Catalog on my laptop to keep track of them and where they are in the zippered notebooks that I keep them in.

We have YouTube TV at home and when on the road we connect our laptop computer to whichever tv we want to watch via HDMI cable. Our TV's are Smart TV's, thus the need for the laptop and HDMI cable. We use WiFi at campgrounds to stream. When we don't get a good campground WiFi signal we hotspot from one of our phones. Unless you have unlimited data on your phone plan your hotspot will quickly eat up your allocated data. We have AT&T cellphone service and recently signed up for a mobile WiFi device through AT&T. The had a deal that provided the mobile WiFi device for free and the moblie WiFi service for $45.00 per month, with the ability to put the service on hold for up to 3 months at a time, so no charge during the months you aren't using it, or don't need to use it. This works great for us, as we are not full timers. Like others have shared, our home YouTube TV subscription works great when we are on the road, and the TV Channel offerings with YouTube TV is great, especially for sports, which is why we switched to it at home. We too have been asked by YouTube TV where we were located or if we were traveling. We simply choose "Traveling" and then we are granted access. We highly recommend YouTube TV as it has great channel offerings and your subscription can travel with you.

Let me know if Youtubetv is a problem if away for over 3 months. Their website still says 3 month connect at home or they pause you. When I had them I would select traveling but after awhile they still paused me. They would still record all my shows but I couldn’t access them until back in registered home area.

We use our daughters address as base but are only there about every 6 - 8 months.

We've never been on the road for 3 months, so have never been paused by YouTube. Thanks for the information about getting paused if you are away from your account address for more than 3 months. Possibly call YouTube Customer Service and explain you are typically on the road for over 3 months during the year, or you are a full timer traveling around the country. Maybe they'll work something out, but maybe not. Worth a try. Good Luck.

Latest resources

Back