• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Two Lost Dawgs

RVF Regular
TOW/TOAD
2016 Chevy 2500 Duramax
Like the title says... What are some pros and cons of setting up residence in SD compared to other states that allow RVers to be on the road FT?
I was initially planning on setting up residence in FL, but now im.thinking otherwise and looking into SD.
Thanks you!

4+ yrs ago, the reason why we chose FL is we needed private PPO nationwide medical insurance and FL was the only state at the time providing this coverage vs TX and SD. Now that we're on Medicare, this doesn't matter.
We've been pleased with FL. Haven't been to FL in a couple years. Recently able to re-register to vote (via mail) and renew our vehicle registrations for 2 more yrs (over the phone). We set up an Montana LLC and at the time we converted to FL registrations w/o paying sales tax, FL would allow it in just 6months plus 1 day after purchase.
On another Forum there's a post of voting issues for fulltimers with a SD domicile. Not sure if that's a problem or not.
What were your reasons for dropping FL from the list?

Like the title says... What are some pros and cons of setting up residence in SD compared to other states that allow RVers to be on the road FT?
I was initially planning on setting up residence in FL, but now im.thinking otherwise and looking into SD.
Thanks you!
I like that "allow" comment. One would think you were in a dictatorship!!! Just saying!!!

4+ yrs ago, the reason why we chose FL is we needed private PPO nationwide medical insurance and FL was the only state at the time providing this coverage vs TX and SD. Now that we're on Medicare, this doesn't matter.
We've been pleased with FL. Haven't been to FL in a couple years. Recently able to re-register to vote (via mail) and renew our vehicle registrations for 2 more yrs (over the phone). We set up an Montana LLC and at the time we converted to FL registrations w/o paying sales tax, FL would allow it in just 6months plus 1 day after purchase.
On another Forum there's a post of voting issues for fulltimers with a SD domicile. Not sure if that's a problem or not.
What were your reasons for dropping FL from the list?
I haven't completely removed Florida from the list. I was talking with a buddy who recommended SD. I also know of a couple other full time RVers who use SD. Just doing Mt homework to figure out the best options.

Being full time provides some advantages in choosing a state of Residence. Be aware that Florida insurance rates are high compared to some other less populous states. Also the FL Sale Tax rate can be punishing for large purchases.
We had considered trying to obtain Maine residency for the DSDP purchase. Travel for six months or so (funded by the sales tax savings) then return home to FL. However life events got in the way, sadly. Purchase day is closing in on us rapidly.

Insurance rates in Oklaloosa Co which is in the middle of Floridas Panhandle hasn't been bad. Maybe in larger FL populated areas it is? The LLC really worked great for us

Something a lot of people have trouble with is having a UPS Store or other PMB address and license agencies, insurance companies and especially banks/financial services will not accept the PMB address.

An Escapees Florida domicile gives you two addresses; a street address at Sumter Oaks RVP that you could live at and of course many do, but mail isn't handled at that address. That satisfies the true residential address requirement and that address is used for d/l etc. For mail-forwarding you get a Texas PMB address.

Generally speaking, could you live at the address? If so, it should be ok for legal purposes same as an apartment complex etc. Note that this excludes UPS Stores, PO boxes etc since you couldn't actually live at the street address, and no matter what you write down it will still show up as a PMB.

Something a lot of people have trouble with is having a UPS Store or other PMB address and license agencies, insurance companies and especially banks/financial services will not accept the PMB address.

An Escapees Florida domicile gives you two addresses; a street address at Sumter Oaks RVP that you could live at and of course many do, but mail isn't handled at that address. That satisfies the true residential address requirement and that address is used for d/l etc. For mail-forwarding you get a Texas PMB address.

Generally speaking, could you live at the address? If so, it should be ok for legal purposes same as an apartment complex etc. Note that this excludes UPS Stores, PO boxes etc since you couldn't actually live at the street address, and no matter what you write down it will still show up as a PMB.
This may be in how you present the address to those agencies.
When I told the credit line to address to "#111,pmb, but never apt or po# or it would be returned unopened " they had no problem putting the address as given them in their computer.

Those that tell you you must have an address in az include:
DMV, Progressive, and mostly gov agencies. However my address has only been an issue with voter registration, and truth is, I would rather not be able to vote, than have it easy for fraudulent voting!!!

Check out St Brendan’s Isle mail service in Florida.

Mail, packages, etc all good to be delivered there. Good address for a legal one as well.

They have been around since the 80s and started to help people that spent a lot of time on their boats.

Being full time provides some advantages in choosing a state of Residence. Be aware that Florida insurance rates are high compared to some other less populous states. Also the FL Sale Tax rate can be punishing for large purchases.
We had considered trying to obtain Maine residency for the DSDP purchase. Travel for six months or so (funded by the sales tax savings) then return home to FL. However life events got in the way, sadly. Purchase day is closing in on us rapidly.
That's good info Joe. Thank you. Unfortunately I'm probably going to make my purchase in California. I've looked at neighboring states, but It's looking more and more like I'm going to buy in California. My purchase date is approaching as well.

Latest resources

Back