Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

A A Ron

RVF Newbee
Thanks for the add! I have a 2017 243BHS. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to share my experience with you all and give you a heads up for something to look out for on your Keystone products. I drove from my home in Michigan to Peoria Illinois for a softball tournament with my daughter and wife. Upon arrival at the campground I noticed a different sound coming from the camper. Not the typical sounds you usually hear. While setting up the camper I looked at the passenger side rear axle and the rear leaf spring hanger was cracked and almost pulled off of the plate. My wife went to the other side and said there isn’t one here. So I went over there and the drivers side leaf spring mount had ripped off the plate and flipped under the frame. I only have about 3500 miles on this camper and bought it new in the spring of 2017. I have spoken to Keystone and they have put me in touch with the manufacturer of the frames and they are sending a mobile technician to me in a few days. Hopefully they can fix this up for me without issue as I’m stuck about 7 hours from home.
01AEE607-6001-4EB2-9B27-9148669C391F.jpeg
6F67458A-07EF-4CFA-9692-A6068B6DB404.jpeg

Welcome to the group.
Same thing happened to me on a 2000 36' Gulf Stream 5th wheel triple axle. It ripped shackle bracket right off. I had just gone through some very bad interstate in Arkansas when it happened. As with mine the metal they are welded to is thin to reduce weight (as with mine) and the sharp turning and vibration will cause them to crack. When I had mine fixed I added additional reinforcement to prevent it happening again. When completed have your axles aligned. Yes trailers do have an alignment. Mine was way off. Usually a truck shop can do if for you. Also check for recalls on the frame. I had that too. I had to take it in and have additional supports welded on.

Thanks for the info. In your opinion will driving it 400 miles back home without being aligned cause any damage? I have been stuck here since Monday waiting for them to come repair it. I just had new tires put on it 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for the info. In your opinion will driving it 400 miles back home without being aligned cause any damage? I have been stuck here since Monday waiting for them to come repair it. I just had new tires put on it 3 weeks ago.
Not as far as the welds go (I don't think), but it did cause issue with my tires. They would overheat and blow out if I went over 65-70 MPH. I drove it 1000 + miles before I found out that was the issue. If I kept it 60 or below they never got hot enough to blow out.

If you still waiting, maybe you can ask them if you can have a local welding shop do it for you. I was on the road when it happened to me. Googled a local guy (while driving) and we agreed to meet at a nearby truck stop. Using my leveling system I jacked the trailer off the ground and moved the axle back into place before he arrived. He checked it out and jacked the axle into place and welded. About 30 min and done. Changed me about $90 if I remember.

So I finally made it home about 11 pm last night. It took the repair tech about 5 hours to grind off the old hangers and install the newer ones. Apparently the hangers he put on my camper are the new design that will be going on the front and rear leaf springs as soon as the manufacturer can do a change over. Only issue with the install was he broke my Propane gas line off on accident and promised the company would cover the repair costs. All done right at the campsite.

Attachments

• 4E522320-AC4B-4617-BA4F-BE4CA449340C.jpeg
    4E522320-AC4B-4617-BA4F-BE4CA449340C.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 90
  • 05FD37BE-D4F9-4A7D-AB6B-71FD2765026C.jpeg
    05FD37BE-D4F9-4A7D-AB6B-71FD2765026C.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 94
  • 8F2486F9-F1B9-4BFD-916B-8EDE3842AC58.jpeg
    8F2486F9-F1B9-4BFD-916B-8EDE3842AC58.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 94
  • 676F5575-EA16-48F4-BB21-9911A3019B44.jpeg
    676F5575-EA16-48F4-BB21-9911A3019B44.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 105
That looks like a big improvement over the old mounts. Did the repair tech weld plates into the holes where the old mounts tore out? I would think that would restore the integrity of the frame rail.

TJ

Where they tore off was actually the hanger that was welded to the frame. He torched and ground those off, then spray painted the frame to look like new and proceeded to attach the new hanger to the frame.

Where they tore off was actually the hanger that was welded to the frame. He torched and ground those off, then spray painted the frame to look like new and proceeded to attach the new hanger to the frame.
OK...a closer look at your photos shows the hanger. ? The new mount looks like a much better setup.

TJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back