• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ScottnBrandy

RVF Regular
So if you haven't read my previous post a little background
Take 2 people with no idea what they're doing, add deciding to buy a used RV, equalled we kinda got screwed. On top of stressed, annoyed, HOT and a few other things.
After a LOT of talking and debating we're considering some options and wanted advice before jumping headfirst again. 1 being using this one as a trade in or selling to a dealer (or scrap yard for all I care at the moment) and 2 being try to sell it privately but with full disclosure(WAY more than we got). The first one I'm thinking it's pretty straightforward. Either they will or they won't and how much of a loss are we really willing to make. The most complicated would be how to rate it on the value forms we've seen. Do we say fair or poor? I mean everything works (now that we've figured all that out), the frame, exterior and "parts" are all in good order, for the most part the floor is in sound condition. No problems with tanks,etc. We just fixed the roof so there's no leaks anywhere. BUTTTT there is extensive water damage (not "a little" like we were told), at least half if not all of the slide needs redone, the front bedroom has been completely gutted but that's as far as we've gotten, all of the carpet/ vinyl needs replaced, there are a few spots in the ceiling that need new tiles at least, bathroom needs remodeled in my opinion but nothing major, back bedroom has spots where it's sagged, 2 walls are pretty soft, one place in the floor is soft, the bunks are intact, top one is still good but bottom and underneath storage area are not from the emergency exit window leaking, also exterior storage compartments are all a no and completely rotted. Some outlets and lights don't work, electrical is a little iffy and I think that about covers it. So idk I'm thinking poor the more I write. Which brings me to #2, would anyone other than dummies with no clue (like us) even buy this thing??? I'd hate to put someone else through the nightmare we have found ourselves in.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

There is usually someone who will buy almost anything, if the price is right. The trick is finding that person. You might try listing it on the local craigslist website as a “fixer upper.” I don’t know how much you have invested and/or need to get out of this RV, but from your description above, I think it will have a very limited market and value so you’d have to price it accordingly.

You might also ask a local RV dealer or two if there is any trade-in value in the RV in its existing condition. Unfortunately, I don’t think there will be much interest. Dealers want trade-ins that they can resell quickly and this doesn’t sound like it fits that bill.

Have you tried pursuing the seller who misrepresented this RV to you? Some states have some pretty aggressive consumer protection agencies that can make life pretty miserable for people who do this sort of thing. Honestly, that might be your best option.

Sorry that you got stuck with this deal. Life can sometimes be a pretty tough teacher.

TJ

I've had a lot of people say to go after the person but I'm not really sure where to start. Florida doesn't have a lemon law for travel trailers and he wasn't a dealer just a private individual

I doubt you will have much luck legally recovering from the seller. I'm assuming he sold you the unit "as is" and you, as a unexperienced RV purchaser, bought the unit without an inspection. I'm afraid you have learned a lesson the hard way.

I have no idea how much money you invested originally in that age of an RV, however unless you want to completely redo it and sink a lot more money into it you obviously have to start your transition out of it somewhere. The quickest way to get a feel for how much you are probably going to lose it to locate a new or late model RV you would like to have at a large RV dealer. Have them figure a deal trading in your current POS (piece of s$%&). After they give you the final difference number counter offer 20% or so less and see if they take it, if not walk away for a couple days and see if they call you back.

If this strategy fails at a couple RV dealers at least you will know about what trade value should be. Then you can decide if you want to try selling it privately or go back to some type of trade off deal.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back