Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Kevzenn

RVF Newbee
Hello. This is my first thread so sorry if its in wrong place. I just bought a 2003 Roadtrek 170. I travel doe 5-6 months to Mexico while my van will stay in California. Any suggestions on what i should do with the batteries so they want die? I think i have two. Should i just disconnect?

That would be ideal, but then your LP/CO gas detector is inoperative.
Do you have availability of a 120V outlet where you store? I would recommend a modern battery maintainer/charger hooked to it for the storage duration.

Roger

I disconnect my batteries when it is going to sit for a time while I’m away. Yes the detectors will not function but it doesn’t matter to me because no one will be there to do anything about it. I prefer to not have any power near the Coach when I’m away for an extended time. We hen I return and hook up my batteries they are always over 95% charged and this is after Winter

I used to disconnect the negative cable but recently found out that some inverters don't like that and can be damaged. My inverter states do not disconnect the negative first but disconnect the positive cable and then the negative cable. I guess I'm just lucky. But disconnecting the batteries is the best practice to avoid dead batteries while in storage without power.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back