Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Came across the Mackinac bridge yesterday, gotta love that $19 toll, but this reminded me of the bridge crossing the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon two years ago. Don't recall seeing any warning signs but the winds can be pretty scary, and dangerous! Got a good hit by wind that got my attention. Keep this in mind on tall bridges over windy areas.

Came across the Mackinac bridge yesterday, gotta love that $19 toll, but this reminded me of the bridge crossing the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon two years ago. Don't recall seeing any warning signs but the winds can be pretty scary, and dangerous! Got a good hit by wind that got my attention. Keep this in mind on tall bridges over windy areas.
You should try it on a wing with tent trailer. Day before I went across an RV was blown on it's side. I actually waited a day till less wind before I crossed, worth checking for warnings!!!

Many maybe aware of the Windy app but here is a link. Very useful to see current, future wind forecast. I use it fairly often

Wind can be a scary force, especially in a large Truck or RV. This story has stuck with me.

I used to cross that bridge 3 days a week in a 26' box truck and I only had one time when I could not cross. The wind was 45 mph when I was coming back after emptying my load in the UP so I had no weight to speek of and it was interesting a lot of times in the winter. There was one time I called the bridge authority on the radio and told them to check the wind as I went over the bridge sideways. They checked and closed the bridge after I went across.

Those big gusts have a way of getting your attention quickly even when you are expecting them

We traveled across the Big Mac a few weeks ago and later learned the bridge is designed to sway as much as 35 feet. I hope I'm never on it when it does that!

2 good pucker up bridges, the twins in Grand Island NY over the Niagara River

WOW...that's eye-opening that a wind gust can blow a 24 ton motorhome on it's side. I try to avoid the wind when possible but if I'm ever in that situation I'll try to park into the wind. Blessings

Latest resources

Back