RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Apex Nano
RV Model
208BH
RV Length
25’
My wife and I are planning on buying a 5th wheel from private sale in North Carolina, having it delivered and parked. Then using our TT for traveling. My question is a 2 parter a) do we have to pay sales tax on the purchase? And b) would we still have to register the 5th wheel if it’s not going to be on the road?
You guys are always awesome and thank you in advance for your input!!!!!

Sales tax, probably but you don’t say where it is going to be parked. Most parks require the RV to be registered and insured

Yes, sorry it’s going to be parked in a park in North Carolina. I will check with the park. Thank you!

It will probably be "taxed", as if it were a vehicle.
A titling tax, rather than a sales tax. I'm thinking it may require licensing. Florida requires all "TT's", "mobile homes", "tiny homes", "double wides", etc, purchase a license plate to be displayed, and also an annual renewal decal to be displayed on the license.
NC, probably requires insurance, as if it were a type of vehicle.
And NC may also charge a "personal property" tax too!
Contact NC "DMV" to be sure!
Good Luck!

Thank you! We are trying to get out of New England to escape All the taxes, guess that’s a tall order :(.

Given that you are trying to get out of New England, are you going to be living in the TT full time? If so, and you don’t plan on being in NC for more than 6 months each year, you have the ability to title and tag in another state which could reduce you tax liability in multiple ways.

We are traveling in a TT, but we were going to park a 5th wheel at a park in NC as a home base so to speak.

We are traveling in a TT, but we were going to park a 5th wheel at a park in NC as a home base so to speak.
If your 5th wheel location has a permanent address, you could claim residency in NC, an eliminate the current residence, thus the taxes there!
A comparison of taxes, real estate taxes, etc, would help in making that decision!
I've got to believe taxation in NC would be cheaper than most of the New England area states! And not nearly as cold!;) Well, maybe in the mountains!

Good Luck!

Latest resources

Back