Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Swissmiss

RVF Regular
In Florida this 6/6 and Annual is rampant at RV parks. I sort of don’t want to buy into their nonsense, but our hand will be forced.

This is our third winter at our Park. It’s inevitable that we will soon loose our 4-5 month spot in lieu of someone wanting it for 6/6 or Annual. It’s almost like you are joining some elite group. If we go for it we will be paying about $2600 more for a stay plus electric!! Who does this make sense for?

Am I missing something?? Are all parks everywhere doing this or are they just targeting snowbirds? It’s a shame. We will soon be priced out of wintering…….

I am not sure of the issue, its a business decision. If you had 12 widgets for sale, would you prefer to sell 4 of them and hope to sell the other 8? Or sell all 12 and be done. Snowbirds could always move to Florida.

For those of us who are slower than others, could you explain what 6/6 and annual means?

A park my folks used to winter at in Florida in the late '90s early 2000's went to longer term commitments and charging for electric. What the 6 and 6 or annual got them was they always got their preferred spot year after year.

They first started going for 4 or 5 months, but Michigan winters and shoulder months were unpleasant for them so that started staying 6 months minimum. Eventually, as they got older, they decided to give up towing a trailer every year and leased a lot annually and put a park model on it.

In Florida this 6/6 and Annual is rampant at RV parks. I sort of don’t want to buy into their nonsense, but our hand will be forced.

This is our third winter at our Park. It’s inevitable that we will soon loose our 4-5 month spot in lieu of someone wanting it for 6/6 or Annual. It’s almost like you are joining some elite group. If we go for it we will be paying about $2600 more for a stay plus electric!! Who does this make sense for?

Am I missing something?? Are all parks everywhere doing this or are they just targeting snowbirds? It’s a shame. We will soon be priced out of wintering…….
Several years ago we went through the same issue at a Park (Upriver RV Resort) in North Ft. Myers. We had been staying there for 3 winters and averaged 4 or 5 months each season. Not only did they keep raising their rates but it became a bidding war for sites. In other words, if you signed up for 6 months then you had picks of almost any site, if you only wanted 3 or 4 months then you were basically on a waiting list to get what sites were left over.

We had a lot of friends there but instead of paying $6,000 to $7,000 per season we moved on. We found a different RV resort that was actually much nicer which had leased sites. Our first two years in our new resort cost us $3,444 annually and we had our site for 12 months to come and go as we pleased.

I suggest you shop around. We had to relocate about 80 miles but it was well worth it money wise.

Likely better to keep sites occupied at a discount, as opposed to taking a chance that with short stays, the site may stay unoccupied for extended periods of time. I think they are required by law in some places to keepa few sites available for short stays. If I owned a campground, I think it would be comforting to know that x number of sites are committed fir the entire season.

I started with 4 mo. the first year, but they did away with that and required six months ti get a discount.

Where I'm at 6 months guarantees you the site for next year but you can't leave stuff there.
Yearly lease like I have you can leave your stuff, gazebo, have a shed, storage trailer, whatever. Yearly wasn't that much more expense to worry about so we went yearly.

This year they opened up the new sites up front and segregated the park.
The sites that were already here are now all yearly leases, from the pro shop and first tee down to the marina.
All the new pull through sites up front close to the entrance are nightly, weekly, monthly.

Place is pretty much full, there seems to be so much demand that the resort doesn't even publish their rates on their website anymore, you have to call and ask.

A park my folks used to winter at in Florida in the late '90s early 2000's went to longer term commitments and charging for electric. What the 6 and 6 or annual got them was they always got their preferred spot year after year.

They first started going for 4 or 5 months, but Michigan winters and shoulder months were unpleasant for them so that started staying 6 months minimum. Eventually, as they got older, they decided to give up towing a trailer every year and leased a lot annually and put a park model on it.

Our folks as well did this when the park changed owners. It was worth it in the long run to have the trailer on the same lot. They took more and more trips to Orlando every year & not just the five month winter stay.

Latest resources

Back