• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Brisket on a smoker?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Attached is a brisket I smoked about a month ago, which I think turn out very well. Trimmed it a lot more than 'experts' say you're supposed to. Then smoked at 220 - 230 degrees, wrapped at 165 pulled off heat at 195.

This time I tried another 'experts' method. I left on a lot of fat, wrapped at 150-155(too early) with paper, pulled it off at 203 degrees. It was falling apart tender, very moist/juicy, both traits I do not like. I couldn't slice it thinner than 1/2 inch and it was way to greasy for me. No picture because it didn't look that great. I think it's destined for chopped brisket sandwiches.....

In a pit boss upright smoker, they both took about 20 hours.

Attachments

• Brisket1.jpg
    Brisket1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
Definitely a happy medium when it comes to trimming like the pros. When you see Jeremy teach the technique, you’ll think two things: All that waste…you’re kidding me, and, why bother?

I do know that most inexperienced chefs will be nervous and underestimate the time needed for a big brisket; I usually keep a “1 hour per pound” as my “estimator” only.

There is trimming for competition and there is trimming to enjoy. Looks/presentation means everything in competition.

There is trimming for competition and there is trimming to enjoy. Looks/presentation means everything in competition.
Definitely true for Ribs. But, with Briskets, there is some "science" to trimming, in terms of the fat cap, which helps the cook.

Many will disregard, as I did for years, until you see the difference a little prep can make with proper fat rendering, bark creation, and breakdown of fibers. It goes beyond presentation with Briskets.

Guys like Franklin & Jeremy have spent ungodly amount of hours throughout the nights examining the way these slabs cook...right down to aerodynamics and airflow! LOL

Another good ole Texas boy explaining how to cook brisket. Gig'em Aggies.

Yeah, then I be styling!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back