• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Brisket on a smoker?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Okay @GlampDaddy @redbaron @sheridany @Jim and others, let's see your latest smoker cooks...
Headed for Costco in a few minutes. It's time for a new brisket and, hopefully, a rack of pork.
IMG_4483.jpg

You should really try a pork shoulder. It’s delicious and very easy to do. You pull it apart with those bear claws you have when it’s done. Get some Hawaiian rolls bbq sauce if needed on top and good creamy coleslaw and your guests will be begging for more. I am sure @GlampDaddy would approve of extending your apprenticeship.

Okay @GlampDaddy @redbaron @sheridany @Jim and others, let's see your latest smoker cooks...
I am on a diet. Just your culinary advisor.

loop goals GIF by leeamerica

I need to keep an eye on Costco and go see if they have rack of pork here too. And try not to buy another brisket!! Yes @sheridany I need to get back on my diet too. It's their fault!! Yeah, that's it. Okay, after T-day.

You should really try a pork shoulder. It’s delicious and very easy to do. You pull it apart with those bear claws you have when it’s done. Get some Hawaiian rolls bbq sauce if needed on top and good creamy coleslaw and your guests will be begging for more. I am sure @GlampDaddy would approve of extending your apprenticeship.
71B53481-7EFB-4784-B0CC-9054302EFBDE.jpeg

Late, but I recently got reminded of this thread. I've smoked turkeys and various bits of pork but never a brisket. Never really wanted to. In retrospect, probably because any brisket I've had before was not very good. (Dry, not fresh, something.)
Short version. THIS thread directly inspired me to try it. I looked at a few recipes but in the end did basically exactly what Redbaro0n laid out in post #2. And though I stumbled at the end with my time and temperatures a little at the end it came out great. I've always favored beef over pork and my brisket definitely gave my ribs a run for their money. I thank you all for the initial inspiration.

Long version, with unnecessary embellishments.
I don't cook a lot, mostly Pleasant Valley Sunday grilling. But I do some family occasions (and camping) and take those pretty seriously. Thanksgiving is my big one. We've gotten to where Thanksgiving at Grandma's is our house. I smoke a turkey and bake two apple pies. Others do the rest. Each year I tweak my recipe/technique a bit and am able to pronounce each turkey "Best one ever". So far.

So after the "come all" Thanksgiving but before actual Christmas we have a smaller family dinner with some presents exchanged between kids and some that won't see each other on the day. And things are arranged for Christmas to best accommodate in-laws and such. So last year I over-invested in frozen turkey and failed to account for the calendar pushing the holidays rather close together. It was fine but this year I told my wife I felt dumb doing a turkey when I still had leftover turkey in the fridge. So before we had done "finger food" and that went OK. So, plan A and some shopping commenced.

In the course of informing everyone the plan, grandson #2 of 6 dropped by. Early college-age, AKA walking appetite. He complained. He said our holiday dinners were hands down the best home meals he would have all year and he looked forward to them. This had the effect of saying "But grandma, I'm HUNGRY!" Grandma said you better come up with a plan B or else. Nothing seemed quite right until I recalled and reviewed this thread. Plan B came about. I even stumbled into a big honking brisket at just the right time.

I was questioned on this. I laid out a rule that before we went camping or had a big dinner that we should make sure our recipes were in order and well-tested. DW called me out on this. I replied in my best Jason Statham: "Why's everyone so worried about my rules?" Wasted completely on her, she's no fan of action movies. But I just had to. (Transporter III I think it was.) So I sort of winged it with a rub I'd never used before. All or nothing, right? It worked out.

Now we are into our busy birthday season. Mine's in their somewhere and I like family to come eat with me. Sometimes at a buffet. Wife is in planning mode when grandson drops by. Yes, #2 again. She told him she was thinking maybe son-in-law Billy could grill steaks and chicken for my birthday and sort of break in our newish patio. He said he'd had Billy's steak and it was OK but why would "Papa"(me) want some "OK" food for his birthday when he could cook and have "really good food". So plan B I'm thinking may be I'll take another shot at a brisket and this time more closely tweak the temps and timing to my satisfaction. And I'm taking it that I have at least one other big fan of brisket. Also this time I hope to have leftovers enough to at least make more than just a single sandwich. I didn't actually make a sandwich as Neal is quite right, you can just grab this stuff and snack on it right out of the fridge.

Latest resources

Back