Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved Broken down in Breckenridge....

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
First glad @Neal your on the move again.

I have a Spartan and was told that you can’t do a forced regen without specific equipment, ie computer/software.
I am arriving at Spartan in Charlotte, MI today and will discuss things more with them. I have a check engine light with key on which will go out after about 20-30 seconds. I have driven approximately 4000 miles this way as it is considered an inactive message from a previous incident and will be reset by Spartan.

Additional note, I run BlueFire which will clear some active faults but not inactive faults.
@NWIP ... please post what you learn up there for us other Spartan owners.

FLSteve

I am arriving at Spartan in Charlotte, MI today and will discuss things more with them.
Ships passing in the night. I'm warming the engine now, about to leave the Spartan CG.

First glad @Neal your on the move again.

I have a Spartan and was told that you can’t do a forced regen without specific equipment, ie computer/software.
I am arriving at Spartan in Charlotte, MI today and will discuss things more with them. I have a check engine light with key on which will go out after about 20-30 seconds. I have driven approximately 4000 miles this way as it is considered an inactive message from a previous incident and will be reset by Spartan.

Additional note, I run BlueFire which will clear some active faults but not inactive faults.
Have you tried turning your key on but not starting the engine and waiting for the check eng light to go out before starting the engine?

Also as Redbaron stated you can do parked regens with a variety of devices, some simple and very economical like the one he noted, and then increasing in cost and functionality on up to dealer level stuff. But its important to have some method of doing regens yourself, because as Neal has so aptly pointed out, the system will not take care of itself except under perfect conditions. And we don't operate out coaches under those.

@Neal - "found a safe spot and immediately forced the regen which it worked as the RPM went up, and after 20 minutes it completed and all lights were out."

glad you worked it out. How did you force the regen?

@RB - walmart appears to have the same tool. it looks (?) to be the same exact model; $148.99

scanner

Have you tried turning your key on but not starting the engine and waiting for the check eng light to go out before starting the engine?

Also as Redbaron stated you can do parked regens with a variety of devices, some simple and very economical like the one he noted, and then increasing in cost and functionality on up to dealer level stuff. But its important to have some method of doing regens yourself, because as Neal has so aptly pointed out, the system will not take care of itself except under perfect conditions. And we don't operate out coaches under those.
Yes I never start engine until the check engine light goes out.

Here is the message which is inactive, it was caused by a active regen that was unable to complete because of extended road construction and low speed. I have since had probably 5-6 regen’s that completed normally. I agree that having a device that allows owners to do forced regen is very valuable A97D158B-A507-46D7-AB31-078C324DF73C.jpegto

@Neal i had a situation a few years ago where I contacted coach net about an issue I was having with my Ventana and they sent a mobile tech out and I paid the bill with the understanding from the coach net rep on the phone they would reimburse me. I submitted the receipt and they denied the claim and said it wasn’t covered. I am curious to see if they reimburse you. Hopefully they will.

, it was caused by a active regen that was unable to complete because of extended road construction and low speed.
That happened to me right before the balloon fiesta when we all met in Santa Fe. I got codes that I needed a new DPF which was unlikely as my coach was only a few years old. I made it to Cummins. Soot got stuck and they did a forced regen and I was good to go. Definitely going to order @redbaron's suggested device. As far as I know, you do need a device to clear codes and force the regen. Will be interested in what you find out at Spartan.

I did not go to TransWest as the panel was clear

I did a forced regen with toad attached, I had no choice but I'm not concerned. The heat is below the after treatment device (under engine compartment) and I don't consider the TOAD at risk.

I will make a suggestion in a few but I think somewhere on the panel we should be able to read a DPF filter level, it should show the customer without need for a technician and allow us to decide if we need to initiate a regen.

Thanks @redbaron I'll order that device and see what it shows before it sells out :)

How to do a forced regen is coach dependent. I have a series of steps which were posted above by @Rich W. but essentially start the engine, apply brake, disengage/re-engage parking brake, under ODB port is a white plug that has a red locking switch. I have to slide the red lock away, disconnect and reconnect the plug and then RPM will immediately rise to about 1000 and indicate it is doing a regen. No other indications or messages on mine (or I don't know where to look), wait until RPM drops. This is very specific to my coach and year.

Roger that @sheridany I'll see what they say. I'll pay a $300 bill any day and smile with joy to avoid a tow and tech decided actions that will run up the bill way more as we all know.

@ARD I do remember and the thing in common is high altitude. We were at Angel fire before that (around 9K elevation) and this just makes me thing for high altitude RVing we need to consider regen's - can't hurt. IF you can do them.

If I missed any questions please point out to me or ask again.

FYI - I immediately called the FL 24/7 number on Labor Day, they answered and guided me through the steps. Super nice, and very responsive.

Latest resources

Back