• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Cable (cord) cut...

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Facebook showed me an ad today that Discovery+ is available to Military/Veterans at 2.99/mo (normally 4.99/mo) - either way that's cheap. What I didn't realize is all the networks that Discovery+ owns - MOST of what I watch! Sanity restoring fast, I subscribedddddddd. Ohh, my OTA antennas arrived yesterday.

Click here for military offer for those eligible.

To see what Discovery+ offers, here's their site:

I wonder how YouTube TV is going to handle locals while traveling? One other nice feature is you can suspend service at any time just like Dish.

I'm feeling a little bit of cold sweats tonight but with the group therapy here I'll get over this I'm sure :)
Haven't had a chance to test this, but what I read a year or two was that while traveling, you will see locals for the area you are traveling in. In addition, you can continue recording shows on your home locals, and when the recording is finished, you can watch it (Ok to watch recorded home locals while traveling, but not live).

Does YouTube tv give you local channels (abc, cbs, nbc)?
We cut the chord several years ago after using our son's YoutubeTV subscription to test. YoutubeTV is pretty much the same as cable and shows the local affiliates. When traveling it'll ask if we're temporarily out of our home area and things carry on.

One super nice thing about YTTV is you can set your favorite shows or teams to record and it's basically unlimited DVR space, plus if the games go into OT the recording stays with it.

Additional bonus is we're saving close to $150/mo.

We cut the chord several years ago after using our son's YoutubeTV subscription to test. YoutubeTV is pretty much the same as cable and shows the local affiliates. When traveling it'll ask if we're temporarily out of our home area and things carry on.

One super nice thing about YTTV is you can set your favorite shows or teams to record and it's basically unlimited DVR space, plus if the games go into OT the recording stays with it.

Additional bonus is we're saving close to $150/mo.
The satellite comes down Thursday and we too are going to save 150/mo going to 100% streaming. So far, we have had to replace one very old flat screen tv with a smart tv but we are still ahead of the game. Been interesting listening to DTV kick and scream trying to hold on to the revenue. Buh bye.....

Another thing I might add. We have a large (80"?) TV which had poor to marginal resolution using cable and an Apple TV streaming device. Once I installed a Roku stick everything came in in HD. It was a game changer.

I might also add we use Roku sticks on all of our TVs.

The one problem I'm seeing lately as a trend with streaming is it's not HD content. Discovery+ mainly is not HD, I can't remember the situation with YouTube TV but I think they want an upcharge for 4K which would probably be necessary to get HD or better.

With the OTA antenna attached to my bedroom Samsung TV I finally had a chance to scan for channels and see how things go. I haven't really used it as again I typically watch YouTube for my interests and education. The OTA works well but I discovered something I new I had but completely forgot about...FREE channels via Samsung TV Plus. I got this TV about a year ago, if that long, and it has tons of channels that are completely free and HD. I didn't use it as I had Verizon FIOS. Last night I flipped through seemingly endless channels and the content was great. Interesting find. So to date I'm paying for YouTube Premium (11.99/mo) and Discovery+ for $2.99/mo.

Follow up on cord cutting...

It took about a week, maybe two to break the addiction to having a TV subscription, a connection to whatever for brain disconnect time. It was a little uncomfortable the first week but then I simply forgot about it. Again, I really didn't watch much TV. I am subscribed to YouTube Premium and watch that most of the time but the Discovery+ subscription for $2.99/mo (price not the issue) has filled the gap giving me what I like watching when I do watch TV. Last night I watched a little Deadliest Catch which is my mind escape go to. The earlier episodes of DC and Diners, Drive-Ins, Dives are not HD. I was concerned at first as that's what I dialed into first, early episodes. The later content is HD and the quality of what I watched last night on my 4K TV was amazing.

In the end, glad I did it. I've adjusted and don't miss it at all.

The time has come for NFL which I enjoy and no TV providers as I am Internet only at home (no more FIOS) and I don't have DISH active. When trying to sign up for things such as NFL they seem to want you to login to a provider. I considered asking for my mothers' FIOS login but decided against it. I figured to start watching pregames I am going to need to subscribe to YouTube TV which isn't bad but there has to be a better way. While browsing Twitter on my phone I saw something for NFL+ and checked into it. It looks like you can subscribe without needing a provider so I did so. $4.99/mo for NFL+ basic plan and I'll see how that works out. I can watch it on Apple TV (streaming) which fits the bill as well as my computer or iPad, etc.

Latest resources

Back