Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Ford F-150
Fulltimer
Yes
Can anyone share their process? I am talking about the awning fabric itself, not the casing

I’ve never cleaned them, but today I noticed a bunch of bird poop on one of them. My plan is to let the rain clean them whenever that happens.

I believe that is Sunbrella material. At least that's what they call it in the marine industry. I remember being told not to use some cleaners on it like detergent, but HERE'S instructions.

From Gerard website:​

Cleaning Your Awning​

Brush off surface dirt.
Hose down the fabric.
Prepare soap mixture in a clean bucket.
Dunk a clean, soft bristle brush into the mixture.
Use sweeping motions to clean the awning.
Allow soap to soak in and capture dirt.
Rinse thoroughly to remove all residues.
Note: Fabrics must be air dried only. Pressing, steaming or machine drying will shrink awning fabric.

Stain Solutions​

Fruit stains: liquid detergent/ ammonia 3-6% water (per gallon)
Grease (automotive): volatile solvent (acetone)
Iron rust: oxalic or citric acids, water
Mildew: 1/2 C bleach + 1/4 C natural soap per gallon of water
Oil: liquid detergent, water
Paint (latex), wet: paint/ oil/ grease remover
Paint (latex), dry: paint/ oil/ grease remover
Tree sap: turpentine, liquid detergent

100% Acrylic Fabric Care Guidelines​

~ Use only mild soap (no harsh chemicals or detergent)
~ Use only cold to lukewarm water (not hot water)
~ Air dry only (to prevent shrinkage and damage)

The biggest issue I see with awnings is not the sunbrella but the THREADS. The threads do not last and is probably the main cause of issues in my observations. If you want to clean just to clean off droppings, yuck, etc. I'd imagine just hosing them off, using the same wash you use to wash the coach is probably fine or as mentioned above. But if you can find something to preserve the threads, you're ahead of the game.

Thanks all. Mine don't get used too often, but I had them out the other day and just noticed they looked of sort of dirty dark brown rather than black. I will just gently hose em off and see if that helps.

I used a B.E.S.T awning cleaner to remove stains and mildew spots caused by winter rains. I used this awning cleaner and it cleaned quickly and easily. The underside of the awning is now shiny white again. I love how easy it is to use this cleaner. All I need to do is spray and close the faucet. Plus, I won't have to worry about my awning falling victim to the sun either, as this cleaner provides protection from those dangerous UV rays.
Link?

Sometimes when the awning is rolled up, it creases and collects some water and moisture which may have caused mold to form. It happened quite often and I felt quite uncomfortable. I tried a remedy a friend gave me: all Purpose Cleaner (Simple Green). It's pretty easy and doesn't take much time.
Step 1: Dilute The All-Purpose Cleaner Solution
Step 2: Apply The Cleaning Solution
Step 3: Scrub And Rinse

I got a spray bottle of awning cleaner that worked wonders.

Hose down the awning, spray this stuff on liberally and brush it off with a soft, long handled wash brush then hose it down again. My awning is white again instead of black like it was before.

Re: The biggest issue I see with awnings is not the sunbrella but the THREADS.

Truer words were never spoken. I've replaced enough Sunbrella canvas on my boat over 23 years to know the threading will give out long before the fabric. The good news is the seams can easily be re-sewn, they get ya for that too.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back