• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Engine won’t shut off: Part II

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Now I know what Alice experienced when she went “Through the Looking-Glass!” And, I understand the full meaning of “You can’t get there from here!”

The problem of the Cummins engine not shutting off is intermittent; we haven’t found any pattern to it. The local shop working on it at the moment says they can’t diagnose the problem unless they have it in failure mode, and it won’t fail for them despite numerous attempts. It has failed just fine for me more than a half-dozen times including yesterday morning here at the RV park.

Spartan took two days to answer the local shop tech’s call for diagnostic help and says all it can do is send some schematics. Newmar says it is either a Spartan or Cummins issue. Cummins says it is a Spartan issue. Spartan says maybe its a Cummins issue. And, the problem continues…intermittently!

Spartan says the emergency shut-off procedure is to use the chassis battery disconnect switch. It worked the first time we tried, but yesterday it didn’t. Spartan says it should always work. The local shop says maybe we need to also use the coach battery disconnect too. Spartan says that’s unnecessary. Cummins says “huh?” Newmar says its either a Spartan or Cummins issue.

We may just have to let it run out of fuel the next time it happens! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Anyone out there ever experienced this kind of an issue? What was the solution?

TJ

when it happens, does the dash power down? Does anything in the coach respond as if you turned the key off?

took the time to read more. See you’re getting an ignition switch which is where I was heading.

ive been a tech for a long time. Ignition switches are not what they were. One thing I recommend is not having every key you own plus two remotes and your lucky troll doll hanging from the ignition.
good luck.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back